Teachers should be happy with their jobs

“Should teachers be allowed to strike?” The question was asked, and apparently 74 per cent of people showed support

“Should teachers be allowed to strike?”

The question was asked, and apparently 74 per cent of people showed support, where the other 26 per cent said “no.”

My question is: Who exactly was asked? In my opinion, those who said “yes” to the strike must clearly have secure and well-paid jobs, and in most cases, part of unionized institutions.

If those who live off small business were to be asked, undoubtedly the answers would be much different. People need to stop demanding via strikes, and accept how good they truly have it, especially in today’s economy.

When I went to school in the 1950s, there were 48 kids in my class, and as far as I know, all of us turned out to be good people. I’m sure it wasn’t easy for teachers those days either.

Stefan Mieczkowski

Langford

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Victoria traffic stop yields drugs, case full of weapons

Police seize firearms, swords and flares

Suspect taken into custody after allegedly attempting to steal a dinghy in Sidney

The incident happened Wednesday morning near Beacon Wharf

Victoria Police arrest man wanted for fraud offences

Michael Friesen arrested on Johnson Street

Colwood art centre shuts its doors indefinitely

Board members look for new location when feasible, continue online

Study looks at feasibility of Vancouver Island abattoir

South Island Prosperity Partnership funds study looking at local meat processing

VIDEO: Bear catches ‘rascally rabbit’ for breakfast near Whistler bus stop

The brief encounter of the bear hunting its meal has gone viral

Illicit-drug deaths up in B.C. and remain highest in Canada: chief coroner

More than 4,700 people have died of overdoses since B.C. declared a public health emergency in early 2016

CMHC sees declines in home prices, sales, starts that will linger to end of 2022

CMHC said average housing prices could fall anywhere from nine to 18 per cent in its forecast

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

B.C. Paralympian named to Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame

Three-time world and Paralympic gold medalist Sonja Gaudet is part of 11-member class

Nanaimo senior who was excessively speeding says her vehicle shouldn’t have been impounded

RCMP say they can’t exercise discretion when it comes to excessive speeding tickets

West Coast Trail to remain closed for now

Federal government won’t open world-famous trek until its First Nations are ready for visitors

B.C.’s essential grocery, hardware store employees should get pandemic pay: retail group

Only B.C.’s social, health and corrections workers are eligible for top-ups

B.C. drive-in theatre shuts down to await appeal of car limits, concession rules

Business owner Jay Daulat voluntarily closed down the theatre awaiting a health ministry decision

Most Read