View Royal Firefighters have been busy responding to trees and wires down and approximately six car crashes Monday morning.
Fire Chief Paul Hurst is advising people to “take the day off and stay home, perhaps leave early.”
All of the crashes were minor collisions.
BC Hydro has been clearing the branches and downed wires and has been “doing a great job,” Hurst said. There have been no reported damages to people’s property in View Royal.
The City of Langford is the only municipality on the West Shore that has had to cancel meetings and work with a skeleton crew. View Royal, Colwood, Highlands and Metchosin municipal halls remain open.
West Shore Parks and Recreation is remaining open, although many programs are cancelled. The pool, weight room and skating are still running. The following programs they offer are cancelled for Monday, Feb. 11:
- Kinderprep Preschool 9:00AM-1:00PM
- Play & Learn Preschool 9:00AM-12:00M
- Nature Preschool 9:00AM-11:30AM
- Toddler’s Social 9:30-10:15/10:30-11:15AM
- Busy Bees 9:00-10:30AM
- Childminding 9:00AM-12:00PM
- TRX 9:45-10:30AM
- Drop in Pottery 10:00AM-4:00PM
- All After School Care Programs 2:30-5:30PM
- Wild About Wellness 4:00-5:30PM
- Adult Advanced Aikido 6:15-7:30PM
- Drop-In Pickleball 6:30-8:30PM
- Jazzercise at John Stubbs School 6:30-7:30PM
- Social Ballroom Level 1 7:00-8:00PM
All fields are closed, including artificial turf until further notice, their website notes.
Langford, Highlands, Colwood, and Metchosin fire departments reported no significant incidents Monday morning.
The Westhills YMCA/YWCA is open, but the pool is closed and swimming lessons are cancelled for tonight.
Goldstream Food Bank is closed until Wednesday.