Fire tore through the attic of a home on the Songhees First Nations land reserve Friday.
View Royal and Colwood firefighters responded to the home in the 1300-block of Craigflower Road at 11:30 a.m. and got the blaze under control before it could spread to the rest of the home.
View Royal fire Chief Paul Hurst confirmed the two residents in the home got themselves out safely.
A man suffered minor injuries on his feet and was treated by BC Ambulance. He’d walked onto the deck of the home, where the fire initiated, in his bare feet trying to put it out with a home fire extinguisher and stepped on burning debris.
A woman was sleeping at the time the fire started and a working smoke alarm alerted her to the need to evacuate.
“Certainly the residents helped us out, being able to get themselves out thanks to the working fire alarm and using fire extinguisher to try to stop the fire from spreading,” Hurst said.
“There was come drywall and siding that’s badly burnt, but the house is still standing.”
Between the two departments, which share a mutual aid agreement to respond to all fires together, 23 firefighters, three engines and a ladder rescue truck responded.