Ceramic artist Judi Dyelle with some of her ceramic works. Dyelle is one of two West Shore artists showcased in the Didi Society art exhibit and sale Create Local: Tackle Global at the Belfry Theatre March 5 to 6.

Ceramic artist Judi Dyelle with some of her ceramic works. Dyelle is one of two West Shore artists showcased in the Didi Society art exhibit and sale Create Local: Tackle Global at the Belfry Theatre March 5 to 6.

From the West Shore with love

Artists partner with the Didi Society to help women globally and locally

Two West Shore artists are featured in an important global initiative.

Local Greater Victoria artists, the Didi Society and the Belfry Theatre make up the who, the what, and the where of Create Local: Tackle Global, an exhibition of local artists and non-profits partnering to help women. The theme for the art is empowerment.

“The strength of the piece (is) because of the form and the glaze, it’s very strong,” said Judi Dyelle of her ceramic piece, Containment Vessel. “Some of my other glazes are very delicate and this is incredibly strong, (an) almost architectural type of surface, giving the strength and empowerment of the artist (to the art).”

Dyelle, a potter of more than five decades with select works in collections around the world, operates ‘Chosin Pottery out of Metchosin and alongside Wendy Skog, represents the two West Shore artists in the exhibition.

After getting a phone call to get involved, Dyelle said it only took her the time to learn about the Didi Society, their co-operatives and their campaigns, to decide she wanted to be a part of the show.

“We are so fortunate in Canada, I can do anything I want, I have no restrictions,” she said.

“In those countries (like India and Guatemala), they are more a patriarchal society, these women try so much harder to be able to do things.”

The word ‘didi’ means older, respected sister in the Hindi language, and is a word chosen to represent the society’s relationships with global and local co-operatives and partners.

They help sell co-op products through local markets and businesses under a fair-trade model, also offering capacity-building opportunities.

Dyelle said she hopes a good turnout supports local artists, women overseas, and the Belfry Theatre where more than two dozen Greater Victoria artists, including University of Victoria instructor Sandra Meigs, Wendy Welch and Carole Sabiston join forces for the cause.

Paintings, sculpture, ceramics and jewelry are all priced at $1,000 or less with 75 per cent going to artists and the other 25 per cent to Didi Society projects.

“I hope there is a good turnout to support artists and the society,” Dyelle said. “(We) are empowering these women to be able to do things whether it is providing for their family or whole community.”

The exhibit and sale is two days, March 5 to 6, at the Belfry Theatre and admission is free. A reception is also being held on March 4 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. with a cost of $25.

alim@goldstreamgazette.com