Vulnerable adults evacuated after mattress catches fire in Victoria

Some residents suffered minor smoke inhalation, damage to premises minimal

  • Feb. 2, 2012 10:00 a.m.

A mattress fire was no match for the sprinkler system at a supported housing unit in Victoria, home to adults with with mental illness and addiction issues.

Eighteen Victoria smoke eaters in six trucks raced to the Pacifica Housing-owned Medewiwin apartment complex at 360 Gorge Rd. E around 9:14 p.m. Thursday night.

By the time firefighters from all three Victoria stations arrived, the sprinkler system in the suite had extinguished the flames, which were caused by smoking in bed, said Victoria fire Platoon Capt. Dave Bicknell.

The fire gutted the bed, scorched one wall and filled the ground-floor of the building with smoke. Fire officials estimate the smoke and fire caused $10,000 in damages.

“It wasn’t a severe fire, but I think one of the messages that’s important to get out, other than don’t smoke in bed, is that sprinkler systems are a very effective means of fire suppression,” Bicknell said.

Residents were evacuated from the 26-unit complex and sheltered in a B.C. Transit bus for about two hours. Some were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene by B.C. Ambulance Service paramedics. No other injuries were reported.

“For all of the tenants, when you’ve experienced something like that, it’s traumatic,” said Karyn French, executive director of Pacifica Housing.

Staff were relieved that tenants were safe from harm.

“It was very fortunate that no one was injured, and we had minimal water damage,” French said.

Since about 2000, the non-profit has owned and operated the building. Medewiwin Apartments house men and women 19 and older, who have been homeless in the past or have been at-risk of becoming homeless.

emccracken@vicnews.com

 

 

 

 

Just Posted

Rebels season over after loss in Cullen Cup Final

Westshore had won ten straight games prior to championship game

West Shore fireworks courses start next week

Course required for mandatory permit

More than 900 new units planned for Langford Lake development

Council still has to sign-off on rezoning application

Hey Amazon, the bid’s in the mail: Langford mayor

The City of Langford has officially submitted its bid to become the home of Amazon HQ2.

Art has become a lifestyle for local resident

Coast Collective’s latest exhibit celebrates all things late fall

Sooke fudge company on Dragon’s Den Nov. 2

Fudge in A Round appearance on Dragon’s Den celebrated with a viewing party at the local Legion Nov. 2

Human remains found at Silver Creek property

RCMP have been searching the property in the 2200 block of Salmon River Road for the past three days

EDITORIAL: It’s time to change the sexual assault conversation

The words “Me Too” are taking social media by storm this week,… Continue reading

Pumpkins’ versatility goes beyond Halloween

Linda Geggie For the Saanich News Get this. My 13-year-old just came… Continue reading

New B.C. acute care centre opens for young patients, expectant mothers

Facility aims to make B.C. Children’s Hospital visits more comfortable

Search ramps up for B.C. woman after dog, car found near Ashcroft

Jenny Lynn Larocque’s vehicle and dog were found in Venables Valley, but there is no sign of her

Event puts pets in the picture for Halloween

Pets West holding Halloween party Oct. 29 at its Broadmead Village location

Police officer hit by car, stabbed in Edmonton attack back on job

Const. Mike Chernyk, 48, returned to work Thursday

UBC medical students learn to care for Indigenous people

Students in health-related studies to take course, workshop to help better serve Aboriginal people

Most Read