Photo courtesy Janel Debalinhard.

RCMP nail alleged sex toy thief

Shop owner plays a role in arrest

An arrest has been made in the recent theft of a rubber sex toy from the Sexy Kitten Adult Boutique in Courtenay — and it was the owner of the boutique herself who played the biggest role in the alleged thief’s capture.

On Jan. 17, the Comox Valley RCMP apprehended the suspect who the previous Wednesday had stolen a foot-long rubber toy from the boutique.

The arrested suspect appears to be a man in his mid-60s. On Jan. 10, he allegedly used a hammer to break into the boutique before making off with a foot-long rubber toy.

Sexy Kitten Boutique owner Janel Debalinhard said she recognized the suspect instantly when she watched the surveillance footage of the theft.

She said the man had previously expressed interest in a similar toy and had even used a tape measure to measure it.

“A man came in a few times — more than five — to check out a particular item,” said Debalinhard. “At first, I didn’t think he was very suspicious but he started to get more suspicious.”

“One afternoon he said he’d be back for it, and that he was excited to have it, but he broke into the store that night to steal it.”

None of this information has been confirmed by police or proven in court.

The toy the man allegedly stole was not the one he had asked about, which Debalinhard said was sold earlier that day, but a significantly larger one that was on sale for $150.

“When he broke in, he was looking for the one I didn’t have anymore,” she explained. “He took a replacement item that was much larger, came back a few minutes later and tried to find [the one he originally wanted] before the cops came.”

Also stolen was a pair of panties, which was dropped on the ground outside the shop.

Debalinhard said she later recognized the suspect while at a local coffee shop and notified RCMP.

“I hadn’t ordered yet, but I turned and looked at the window, because someone told me to, and there he was walking through the parking lot,” she said. “I left, got in my car, and followed him going 1 km/h all the way through town.”

The alleged suspect was released on bail, with a promise to appear in court.

Just Posted

Goldstream park campground reopens after tent city cleanup

The campground was closed to the public on Sept. 20 by the provincial government

Tents remain erected at homeless park in Oak Bay Friday morning

The District of Oak Bay issued a notice cease encampment Thursday afternoon

Sooke woman seeks changes in assisted dying law

Family’s ordeal has spurred a petition to Parliament

Uruguay leads the world in pot legalization with Canada second

The small Latin American started to legalize pot in early 2010

Supportive cancer care centre highlights Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Almost 30,000 people in B.C. will get diagnosed with cancer this year

WATCH: Twelve Angry Jurors puts a new spin on an old tale

Canadian College of Performing Arts opens season with reworked version of Reginald Rose teleplay

Find your future at Black Press career fair in Victoria

More than 70 booths expected at Bay Street Armoury on Oct. 25

POLL: Do you support amalgamation for communities in the Capital Region?

Residents in Victoria and Saanich will be voting on Oct. 20 on… Continue reading

Shots fired at Vancouver Island house during fight

Shots were fired at about 2:30 p.m. Thursday in 500 block of Kennedy Street, say Nanaimo RCMP

Nanaimo RCMP warn public after nine-year-old girl approached by motorist

Incident happened Wednesday morning near Park Avenue School

Migrants, police mass in town on Guatemala-Mexico border

Many of the more than 2,000 Hondurans in a migrant caravan trying to wend its way to the United States left spontaneously with little more than the clothes on their backs and what they could quickly throw into backpacks.

5 to start your day

Man killed in shooting at Abbotsford bank, ex-Surrey cop to appear in court after Creep Catchers sting and more

Trump: ‘Severe’ consequences if Saudis murdered Khashoggi

Pro-government newspaper Yeni Safak on Wednesday said it had obtained audio recordings of the alleged killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.

Most Read