Some businesses see – and keep – HST benefits

HST, business, Victoria

Last year I asked a friend who runs a small business what effect the HST had on his company. He gleefully told me that it increased his bottom line by about $5000. When I asked if he planned to pass some of these savings on to his customers, he looked at me like I was deranged. No, he planned to keep the profit for himself.

The recent Dinning report (Independent Panel on the HST) assumes that “…90 per cent of business’ HST rebates are passed on to the consumer.” This appears to be wishful thinking. They also state “17 per cent of your spending has an extra seven per cent sales tax.” whereas the other 83 per cent is unchanged. How is this good?

I’ll be voting to get rid of the HST.

Roel Hurkens

Victoria

Just Posted

Woman injured during West Shore RCMP arrest prompts police watchdog investigation

IIO investigating to determine if police action or inaction linked to woman’s injuries

VIDEO: ‘Life-saving’ Fix-A-Heart campaign hits $40,000 two weeks in

Canadian Tire on track to surpass 2018 donation of $41,445

Victoria Foundation’s community grants support 109 local non-profits

Foundation delivers $2.8 million in grant money to local organizations

UPDATED: Saanich structure fire sparked in child daycare

Motorists advised to avoid the area of the highway, Glanford Avenue, Royal Oak Drive and Quadra Street off ramp

Invasive English holly poses threat to Island’s eco-system

Not so jolly holly, say consrvationists, as invasive species attacks indigenous plants

‘Not a decision I came to lightly:’ Scheer to resign as Conservative leader

Decision comes after weeks of Conservative infighting following the October election

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Dec. 10

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Do you have a real or artificial Christmas tree?

The lights are up, holiday shoppers are bustling through the streets and… Continue reading

‘British Columbians are paying too much’: Eby directs ICBC to delay rate application

Attorney General David Eby calls for delay in order to see how two reforms play out

VIDEO: Octopus, bald eagle battle after bird ‘bites off more than it can chew’ in B.C. waters

B.C. crew films fight between the two feisty animals in Quatsino off north Vancouver Island

Couple who bought $120k banana duct-taped to wall say artwork will be ‘iconic’

Pair compared it to Warhol’s ‘Campbell’s Soup Cans,’ which was initially ‘met with mockery’

Race to replace Andrew Scheer could be a crowded one

Many familiar faces, such as Maxime Bernier, Jason Kenney, Doug Ford and Kevin O’Leary, have said no

Sooke’s École Poirier students win B.C. Hydro Power Smart contest

More than 100 schools compete in province-wide competition

Most Read