View Royal sets the bar high for emergency preparedness

Other municipalities in the Greater Victoria look to View Royal for emergency procedures

The issue of emergency preparedness and a mass notification system in response to the tsunami warning on Jan. 23 was raised at View Royal’s council meeting Tuesday.

The Town has already held one information session for emergency preparation with more information available on its website.

Three people spoke about the issue at the meeting. Ian Forbes attended the first seminar hosted by the Town and View Royal Fire Rescue Capt. Troy Mollin. Forbes said he learned a lot about communication in the event of an earthquake or tsunami and will be creating a neighbourhood plan.

A letter was written to council after the Jan. 23 incident from members of the Chancellor Avenue and St. Giles Street community, a low lying area in View Royal, that were upset about not receiving notification of the tsunami. It turned out to be a false alarm, but residents were concerned for their safety if this was not a drill.

Fire Chief Paul Hurst addressed each issue in the letter and said he would be happy to meet with the neighbourhood to help with any questions or address procedure concerns.

He assured residents that View Royal is prepared for such an emergency and that no neighbourhoods were overlooked on Jan. 23. Hurst noted that there have been emergency preparedness seminars in the past, but that as a result of recent events they have started to host more information sessions. He added View Royal is advanced in creating emergency plans as other municipalities mirror the town.

The unfinalized budget for emergency planning is $175,474 for 2018. Last year the approved budget for emergency services was $170,971. Dedicated funding for the emergency program has been in place since 2005, which represents five per cent of the Town’s fire emergency and operating budget, Hurst said.

Hurst will be submitting an amendment to the 2018 budget to receive funding for mass notification.

View Royal has received a total of $50,000 in UBCM grants so far this year which goes towards funding emergency operations.

Due to increased interest View Royal opened two more emergency information sessions. The Feb. 20 session has already reached capacity and there is another one scheduled for Monday, Feb. 26 at 6:30 p.m.

***This article has been corrected from a previous version. Emergency managers across the region share their regional plans and ideas with each other. This helps teams better align plans and standardize response times and emergency messaging in the region.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

lindsey.horsting@golstreamgazette.com

Just Posted

Input needed for View Royal playground

Ideas include ziplines, swings and net climbers

Highlands seeks public input on secondary suites

Open house to take place sometime in the summer

Canada Junior Development team qualifies for World Cup in Japan

Nolan Thoroughgood finished the tourney fifth overall for Canada

Elements Casino offers space, resources to charities and community groups

New Platinum Room will be available free of charge

Get your smile on, Free Smile Day is coming up

Two dental clinics in View Royal and Sooke are offering free services on Monday

LOCAL FLAVOUR: Taking the sting out of nourishing nettles

Linda Geggie For the Saanich News When you think of nettles you… Continue reading

Final week for ALR input

Public consultation process closes April 30

‘When everybody leaves: Counselling key to help Humboldt move on after bus crash

Dealing with life after a tragedy can be the worst part following a loss

Central Saanich, Tsawout taking part in reconciliation ceremony

Blanket event Monday to help foster mutual trust and respect

Ballet Victoria soirée fundraiser a prelude to final show of season

Company winds up its 15th season in the city with Peter Pan next month

Half-naked shooter guns down four, runs away in Nashville Waffle House shooting

Nashville police say they are looking for Travis Reinking in connection with the shooting

Child’s body found in river downstream from where boy went missing during flood

Three-year-old Kaden Young was swept out of his mother’s arms in February

B.C. VIEWS: Eliminating efficiency for farm workers

Don’t worry, NDP says, the B.C. economy’s booming

Most Read