Testimony ends at Phil Jacobs sexual abuse trial

Supreme Court justice to hear final arguments in January

A retired teacher for St. Joseph’s Catholic elementary school testified Thursday for the defence as the final witness at the ongoing Phil Jacobs sexual abuse trial.

During testimony on Dec. 11, one of the three complainants against Jacobs testified the priest molested him during his time as an altar server at Joseph the Worker church.

The witness testified to a time Jacobs molested him while preparing for altar server duties during a school mass in a room attached to the preparation room behind the altar.

The witness couldn’t remember how many times he performed as an altar server, but said it was more than once and spanned two school years. Overall, the witness said Jacobs molested him more than once and less than a dozen times.

On Thursday, Alice Valiquette, a retired but long-time teacher at St. Joseph’s, said she had the responsibility of selecting altar servers for school-wide masses, which happened about once per month, during school hours.

Valiquette testified that the complainant had served as an altar server at a school-wide mass only once.

She also noted that during preparation for mass, the room behind the altar was busy with students, and that the school principal was usually in the room chatting with Jacobs prior to the ceremony.

“While teaching and attending mass, did you observe any improprieties between Philip Jacob and (the complainant)?” asked Jacobs’ defence attorney Chris Considine.

“No,” Valiquette told Justice Miriam Gropper.

She couldn’t say if the complainant performed as an altar server for different ceremonies, such as a funeral mass or a parish mass, during questioning from Crown prosecutor Clare Jennings.

Jacobs, 63, is charged with sexual assault, two counts of sexual interference of a person under 14 and touching a young person for a sexual purpose.

The charges involve three minors under the age of 14, with alleged incidents spanning September 1996 to June 2001.

The trial will resume in Victoria Supreme Court on Jan. 8 for final defence and Crown submissions.

Media coverage of the trial has drawn the attention of people in Ohio, where Jacobs admitted during his trial here to sexually abusing young boys years ago.

Last Wednesday, the Columbus Dispatch newspaper reported that in 2010, Diocese of Columbus had received about 10 reports of abuse by Jacobs since 1993 and had passed all allegations on to police.

“For many years the Columbus Diocese has actively sought all information of any incidents of abuse by (Phil) Jacobs. As its ongoing policy, the Diocese of Columbus continues to encourage strongly anyone who may have experienced abuse from any clergy or others associated with the church to contact the diocesan victims-assistance coordinator … as well as notify the appropriate civil authorities,” Columbus diocese spokesman George Jones told the Dispatch.

editor@saanichnews.com

 

 

Just Posted

Ambitious B.C. Aviation Museum need $10M to get iconic Lancaster back in the air

Volunteers flock to work on bomber, restoration expected to take 10 years

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority to fall fake eagle tree at Ogden Point

Last year a fake tree was installed to try to entice eagles to stay in the area, without much success

Saanich to potentially host first hydrogen fuel station on Vancouver Island

Station proposed for corner of Quadra Street and McKenzie Avenue

Saanich to recognize Coun. Judy Brownoff for a quarter century on council

Award presentation will take place Monday evening

Langford man sentenced to 15 months for child pornography collection

Andre Mollon sentenced for posession of more than 1,000 child pornography images and 70 videos

Victoria hosts ‘Ultimate Hockey Fan Cave’

The hockey cave was recently featured on a Netflix special

Inspirational Vancouver Island youngster dies after battle with brain cancer

Kaiden Finley ‘was seriously the strongest 11-year-old’

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

Most Read