Students of View Royal elementary school gave thanks at the View Royal fire hall to all the emergency personnel who saved the life of their classmate Katrina Van Winkle

Students thank View Royal FD for saving classmate’s life

View Royal elementary students marched to the View Royal fire hall to thank the firefighters for saving Katrina Van Winkle's life.



On her first day back to class, View Royal elementary student Katrina Van Winkle and hundreds of her classmates marched to the View Royal fire hall to thank the firefighters that saved her life.

The shy nine-year old stood holding a letter she wrote thanking the firefighters, especially fire Chief Paul Hurst for risking his life to save hers.

Hurst pulled Van Winkle from the fire on March 14. He found her on the floor unconscious and not breathing.

“Katrina gave it her best to get out,” said Hurst. “We made sure she got out.”

Emotions ran high on the sunny afternoon between firefighters, teachers and parents all with the knowledge that this story could have had a tragic end.

The Grade 3 student was airlifted to B.C. Children’s Hospital she was discharged from hospital March 16. Her first day back to school was March 27.

“I couldn’t keep her home,” said her great grandmother Sue Utendale, who was also in the home the morning of the fire. “There has been such an out pouring of support from so many people in the community. One day we hope to thank them all individually.”

The family has moved into a townhouse in View Royal.

Katrina and her classmates yelled a big “thank you” to the firefighters, sang a song about View Royal and they left dozens of signs and banners students created to thank the department and other emergency services that assisted at the fire.

“This is great the entire school is supporting this student and for them all coming to the fire department it’s pretty noble,” said Hurst.  “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

A total of 34 firefighters from View Royal and Colwood fire departments attended the fire.

Katrina was home with her grandmother and great grandmother when the early morning fire started. All three were rescued.

“Without working smoke alarms this certainly could have been fatal,” said Hurst emphasizing the family had smoke alarms on all levels of the home. “It was the smoke alarms that got them out of bed.”

Investigators found that the fire began in the basement where combustibles were stored too close to a baseboard heater in the laundry room.

Hurst would like to urge families to ensure  they have working smoke alarms and practise fire drills and escape routes on a regular basis so there are more happy endings.

charla@goldstreamgazette.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just Posted

Federal government actions hurt Sooke hatchery fundraising efforts

Funding denial comes on the heels of fishing closures

SD62 student places third in province-wide French competition

12-year-old Sasha Zandieh won third with a speech on poet Pablo Neruda

Jesse Roper learns to create fire in the wild, in Sacred Knowledge web series

Ragnarock Studios production shares primitive skills with Islanders

Island athlete goes from hoop dreams to icy track

Cyrus Gray hopes to punch his ticket to Olympics in bobsleigh

Oak Bay researcher’s Canadian English dictionary goes to print

How an unknown American hobbyist sparked a Canadian dictionary

Police release photos of suspect in daytime sex assault at Vancouver woman’s home

A young woman, in hers 20s, was followed home by the man, before he violently attacked her inside

Raptors beat Bucks 100-94 to advance to franchise’s first-ever NBA Finals

Leonard has 27 points, 17 boards to lead Toronto past Milwaukee

Third person charged in death of B.C. teen Bhavkiran Dhesi

Inderdeep Kaur Deo facing charge of accessory after the fact to murder

Kamloops girl, 9, recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning now out of ICU

Her mother who was sleeping in the same tent with her did not survive

‘I think he’s still alive’: B.C. mom pleads for help finding son last seen a month ago

Family offering $5,000 reward for information leading to the safe return of Tim Delahaye

New poll suggests one-third don’t want politicians to wear religious symbols

Local politicians shouldn’t be allowed to wear hijabs, crucifixes or turbans on the job, survey suggests

Raptors fans far from home adjust plans to watch pivotal playoff game

Raptors currently lead the playoff series 3-2, and a win Saturday would vault them into NBA finals

PHOTOS: First responders in Fernie rescue baby owl who fell from nest

The baby owl’s inability to fly back to its nest prompted a rescue by first responders

Five takeaways from the Court of Appeal ruling on B.C.’s pipeline law

It’s unclear how many tools are left in B.C.’s toolbox to fight the project

Most Read