Members of the View Royal Fire Department survey the scene outside a condo blaze on Watkiss Way Friday morning. (Black Press/Ragnar Haagen)

Members of the View Royal Fire Department survey the scene outside a condo blaze on Watkiss Way Friday morning. (Black Press/Ragnar Haagen)

VIDEO: Sprinkler system helps save home in View Royal

Friday’s blaze was contained with the help of a working sprinkler system that engaged until fire crews arrived

Fire crews from both View Royal and Colwood responded to alarm bells ringing at the Four Pillars condo complex on Watkiss Way at 9:40 a.m. Friday.

The fire started in a bedroom and was caused by unattended candles and incense.

“If this hadn’t been a sprinkled building, this would have been a significantly different event,” said View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst. “Thankfully the sprinklers kicked in and controlled the fire. It’s a good outcome today.”

Under provincial building code regulations this structure would not have been required to have fire sprinklers but thanks to the Town of View Royal’s proactive fire sprinkler bylaw, the damage was contained. This bylaw requires all new construction of duplexes or larger in the town to have fire sprinklers.

Officials say the fire was contained quickly, but there was some water damage and crews remained on scene to help salvage items, tarp other units and vacuum up the water. A neighbouring suite also experienced some water damage.

Three people in the suite were able to escape with no injuries and the displaced residents will be helped by Emergency Social Services with finding accommodations until their insurance can assess the damage.

Hurst noted the suite is not livable and temporary accommodations have been made for the family.

B.C. Ambulance Service, West Shore RCMP and BC Hydro were also on scene.

If you see breaking news when it happens send pictures and video to editor@goldstreamgazette.com