(Black Press file photo)

SD62 encouraging parents to talk about online safety in light of Momo Challenge

Disturbing online challenge instructs participants to perform dangerous tasks

The Sooke School District is encouraging parents to talk with their children about online safety following reports of a disturbing social media challenge that encourages participants to do dangerous things.

On Feb. 27, SD62 sent out an email to parents and guardians, on behalf of superintendent Scott Stinson, to make them aware of the Momo Challenge.

The Momo Challenge involves participants receiving social media invitations on platforms such as WhatsApp and Snapchat to message an account called Momo. The account is linked to an image of a doll with long black hair, large eyes and a scary-looking smile.

READ MORE: Disturbing Momo Challenge a ‘teachable moment’ social media expert says

The account may send disturbing images and instructions for different tasks that need to be complete along with threats about what will happen if the tasks are not carried out.

Participants can receive the invitation through seemingly child-friendly videos and video games.

“Teachers will remind students about the importance of online safety and to always talk to an adult if they see anything that concerns them,” the email said. “We encourage you to take this opportunity to talk with your child about online safety and screen time.”

The email also offered the following tips to parents:

  • Limit screen/device time for your child. One hour maximum for ages two to seven and two hours maximum for ages seven and up.
  • Create screen-free times and zones within your home.
  • Be aware of what social media your child is using and the channels they are watching.
  • If possible, watch with your child so that you are there to explain any questions they may have or to mitigate inappropriate content.
  • Talk through information that they may find disturbing.

The message also noted a helpful resource is a website created by Canadian pediatricians called Caring for Kids.

“The safety of students and staff in our district is paramount,” the email read. “If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact your school principal.”

READ MORE: Police forces warn of risks around online ‘Momo Challenge’

Darren Laur, an internet and social media safety advocate with the West Shore-based company The White Hatter said the challenge is a hoax. He said there were reports of children harming themselves and dying as a result of the challenge but in reality, that isn’t the case.

However, Laur said the images and messages from the challenge can be frightening for children. Laur noted this challenge can be used as a teachable moment for parents to educate their kids about online safety.

“Let’s enlighten not frighten,” Laur said. “It comes down to education but in order to do that parents need to know the information.”

shalu.mehta@goldstreamgazette.com


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Ambitious B.C. Aviation Museum need $10M to get iconic Lancaster back in the air

Volunteers flock to work on bomber, restoration expected to take 10 years

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority to fall fake eagle tree at Ogden Point

Last year a fake tree was installed to try to entice eagles to stay in the area, without much success

Saanich to potentially host first hydrogen fuel station on Vancouver Island

Station proposed for corner of Quadra Street and McKenzie Avenue

Saanich to recognize Coun. Judy Brownoff for a quarter century on council

Award presentation will take place Monday evening

Langford man sentenced to 15 months for child pornography collection

Andre Mollon sentenced for posession of more than 1,000 child pornography images and 70 videos

Victoria hosts ‘Ultimate Hockey Fan Cave’

The hockey cave was recently featured on a Netflix special

Inspirational Vancouver Island youngster dies after battle with brain cancer

Kaiden Finley ‘was seriously the strongest 11-year-old’

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

Most Read