The Saanich Parks and Public Works Yard has been closed to garden waste drop-offs since March 19 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)

Saanich garden waste drop-off suspended due to COVID-19 pandemic

Mayor reminds frustrated residents about other options for yard waste

The Saanich Parks and Public Works Yard has been closed to garden waste drop-offs since mid-March due to the COVID-19 pandemic and some residents are frustrated about not having a place to dump their yard waste.

Effective March 19, the District of Saanich closed a number of municipal facilities. Public access to the Parks and Public Works Yard on McKenzie Avenue and Borden Street was reduced to appointment only and yard waste services were temporarily closed until further notice.

READ ALSO: Three more deaths in B.C.’s long-term care facilities due to COVID-19

Anne Simmons, a Saanich resident of more than 45 years who’s using the extra time at home to tend her yard and garden, was among those upset to hear that yard waste drop-off had been shut down.

“You don’t go near anybody” when dumping yard waste, she said, emphasizing that she feels the public health officer’s safety orders could be followed while still permitting residents to use their “beloved” Parks and Public Works Yard.

Simmons added that dropping off yard waste while social distancing would be better than piling it up in her yard as she’s “terrified” of what the upcoming fire season will be like.

READ ALSO: Saanich to consider reducing 2020 property tax increase as pandemic continues

Mayor Fred Haynes explained that as a gardener himself, he understands the closure of the public works yard is inconvenient but emphasized that it’s a necessary part of protecting municipal staff and residents during the health crisis.

“It’s not business as usual,” he added, noting that it’s important for the District to manage resources and staff time carefully during these unprecedented times.

Haynes asks that residents be patient and either keep their yard waste at home until drop-off resumes or bring it to the Hartland Landfill Facility or call a private disposal company.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Saanich council to consider closing the door on amalgamation with Victoria

The Capital Regional District has also compiled a list of yard waste service providers in the region including 10 that remain open for drop-offs. Many of those that are still open have altered their hours of operation and payment options.

Haynes also pointed out that composting is another option for dealing with yard waste and that curbside green bin pick up will continue in Saanich. Many yard trimmings can be put in with the organics recycling – residents can visit saanich.ca for more information about what’s permitted in the bin.


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

CoronavirusDistrict of Saanichgardening

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Saanich police see spike in excessive speeding compared to previous years

Nearly 100 excessive speeders caught since January 2020

Colwood branch drop-off to continue throughout summer

COVID-19 safety measures remain in place

Welcome to grilling season: Saanich firefighter talks barbecue safety tips

Grills should be cleaned, serviced prior to use, firefighter says

Cycling scavenger hunt comes to Tweed City

Cyclists scour Oak Bay for clues in Bike to Work Week event

Colwood woman launches Adopt a Grad

Facebook page aims to support students during pandemic

11 new COVID-19 cases in B.C. as top doc urges caution amid ‘encouraging’ low rates

Dr. Bonnie Henry also announced that two care home outbreaks would be declared over

Surrey mayor’s party under fire for ‘sickening’ tweet accusing northern B.C. RCMP of murder

Mayor Doug McCallum says tweet, Facebook post ‘sent out by unauthorized person’

Father’s Day Walk Run for prostate cancer will be virtual event this year throughout B.C.

The annual fundraiser for Prostate Cancer Foundation BC has brought in $2.5 million since 1999

Dr. Bonnie Henry announces official ban on overnight kids’ camps this summer

New ban comes after talking with other provincial health officials across the country, Henry says

Senior man in hospital after unprovoked wolf attack near Prince Rupert

Conservation officers are on site looking for the wolf

VIDEO: NASA astronauts blast off into space on SpaceX rocket

Marks NASA’s first human spaceflight launched from U.S. soil in nearly a decade

‘I knew what he wanted’: Kootenay man spends hours in tree as black bear patrols below

Francis Levasseur is no stranger to the outdoors, but a recent run-in with a bear caused quite a scare

PHOTOS: U.S. cities brace for increasing unrest over police killing of George Floyd

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz has fully mobilized the state’s National Guard

$200,000 Maybach impounded after ‘L’ driver caught excessively speeding in Vancouver

Meanwhile, the supervisor sat in the passenger seat, police said

Most Read