This file photo shows Chrissy Brett, a member of the Nuxalk Nation, standing at the outer edges of the homeless camp that has sprung up near Uptown in May. She said in an interview Thursday that residents will likely defy Saanich’s second eviction notice, which she believes sets up a court injunction against the camp. Black Press File.

Saanich camp leader plans to defy new eviction notice

Notice prohibits campers from remaining in Regina Park between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.

The District of Saanich issued its second eviction notice against campers in Regina Park Thursday, but a camp leader says it is not likely that residents will comply with it.

Chrissy Brett said police officers, some in plain clothes, issued the notice around 10 a.m. A release from the District of Saanich says officers issued the notice with the “expectation of immediate compliance.” The notice cited changes to Saanich’s parks management and control bylaw. They codify the rights of homeless individuals to seek overnight shelters in certain parks including Regina Park between 7 p.m. and 9 a.m. but prohibits continuous camping outside those hours.

Brett said these provisions deny basic human rights to shelter, adding that residents on the provincial part of the camp are prepared to challenge the order.

While Saanich had issued its first eviction notice on June 8, Thursday’s order takes on added meaning for at least three reasons.

First, it happened shortly after Saanich strengthened its own legal arguments by acknowledging the rights of homeless individuals to shelter overnight, while simultaneously exercising its authority to limit where they can camp.

Second, it can be read as the harbinger of a court injunction against the camp.

Brett, who was among the leaders of Victoria’s tent city, said this pattern was evident in that situation, and she thinks that this order is just Saanich’s way of setting the stage for that move.

District officials have previously refused to comment whether they plan to a court injunction against the camp, calling it an ongoing legal matter.

Brett hopes that the district remains committed to working with camp residents in keeping the camp safe and finding a housing solution.

Camp residents also received orders from fire officials June 8, June 15 and June 29.

The order came just hours before the camp is to hold a community barbecue to build public support. Saanich’s notice suggests that the camp should not get too comfortable.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Transplant caregiver starts website for financial, mental health support

Beth Campbell-Duke started Transplant Rouges after her husband’s double lung transplant

Saanich swimmer has ribs removed, posts them on social media

Jill Yoneda makes light of rare surgery for ‘slipping rib syndrome’

Victoria ranked as one of B.C.’s worst cities to work in

High living costs and low average incomes drop Victoria from the top 10

Victoria no longer interested in hosting a downtown casino

Mayor puts forward letter that retracts interest in hosting a casino

Cyclist without helmet thrown onto windshield in Victoria

Despite damage to bike, cyclist uninjured following accident

Lawyer for Chinese exec detained by Canada says it’s ‘inconceivable’ she would flee

Meng Wanzhou was detained at the request of the U.S. during a layover at the Vancouver airport

Federal government plans examination of coerced sterilization

The Liberals have been pressed for a rapid response to recent reports on the sterilizations

Huitema, Cornelius named 2018 Canadian Youth International Players of the Year

Huitema was captain of Canada’s fourth-place team at this year’s FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup

Canada not slowing emissions from oil and gas: environmental groups

New report released at the United Nations climate talks in Poland

Liberal Party moves Trudeau fundraiser from military base

The fundraiser is scheduled for Dec. 19, with tickets costing up to $400

Pipeline protesters arrested at B.C. university

Three protesters were arrested after TRU property allegedly vandalized with red paint

Goodale to ‘examine’ transfer of Rafferty to medium-security prison

Michael Rafferty was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 in the kidnapping, sexual assault and first-degree murder of Tori Stafford

‘Abhorrent’ condition of autistic B.C. boy shows flaws in care system: report

‘Charlie’ was underweight and ‘covered in feces’ when he was removed from his mom’s care

Minister appoints former CIRB chair to resolve Canada Post labour dispute

Postal workers engaged in weeks of rotating walkouts

Most Read