Roadwork deferred to fund Craigflower bridge rebuild

A plan to rebuild Cook Street, between Quadra Street and Maplewood Road, will be put on hold

A plan to rebuild Cook Street, between Quadra Street and Maplewood Road, will be put on hold after build costs for the new Craigflower Bridge jumped by $2.2 million.

Saanich and View Royal, which share ownership of the bridge, are each on the hook to find $1.1 million more than they originally budgeted for.

“The tenders came in over budget because of the pilings and what (the contractor feels) is beneath the surface,” said Saanich Mayor Frank Leonard. “On the other hand, Saanich taxpayers should still be pleased we’ve got a $13.2-million bridge that’s being funding $11.05 million from other sources, which is incredible.”

Saanich is finding its portion by delaying the Cook Street upgrade a year, and using the money previously budgeted there.

Both municipalities last week awarded the bridge build contract to Don Mann Construction Ltd. for $15,896,000. The contract also includes major roadwork on either side of the bridge.

The 80-year-old, timber-beam Craigflower Bridge is slated to be replaced by a three-lane steel bridge. Construction will begin in April and is expected to last six months.

When complete, the Cook Street upgrade, called a Complete Street project, will see the road become more pedestrian and bike friendly.

kslavin@saanichnews.com

 

Just Posted

Goldstream Avenue development on schedule to open next winter

Pacifica development adds 150 units of affordable housing

SCREECH: Transportation service will give residents and businesses a say in improving the system

Transportation issues are top of mind across the Capital Regional District. If… Continue reading

Artists find showcase at Coast Collective gallery

Art from the Attic showcases forgotten treasures

Drop off your old branches in Colwood

Program helps keep city yards tidy

Premier John Horgan announces improvements to Highway 14

Construction on the $10 million project is set to begin immediately

Monster trucks invade Victoria

Traxxas Monster Truck Tour stops at Save-On Foods Memorial Centre this weekend

WHL winning streak ends at four in Kelowna for Victoria

Royals lose 8-4 as Rockets explode offensively

Wind warning back in effect around Vancouver Island

80 km/h winds expected Saturday, Jan. 20, on east coast of Island, 100 km/h on west coast

VIDEO: Thousands join women’s march events across B.C.

Today marks one year since the first Women’s March on Washington

UPDATE: BC Transit’s handyDart service strike delayed

LRB application by contractor means new strike notice must be issued by union

Two Canadians, two Americans abducted in Nigeria are freed

Kidnapping for ransom is common in Nigeria, especially on the Kaduna to Abuja highway

Are you ready for some wrestling? WWE’s ‘Raw’ marks 25 years

WWE flagship show is set to mark its 25th anniversary on Monday

B.C. woman who forged husband’s will gets house arrest

Princeton Judge says Odelle Simmons did not benefit from her crime

Women’s movement has come a long way since march on Washington: Activists

Vancouver one of several cities hosting event on anniversary of historic Women’s March on Washington

Most Read