Saanich police won’t release the name of the cyclist, who died following a Sunday collision, and have notified the Independent Investigations Office of BC. (Pexels)

Police watchdog notified after cyclist dies in Highway 17 collision Sunday

A 24-year-old Victoria man died Sunday at the scene after being struck by a truck

The civilian agency overseeing police conduct is involved in the case of a man, who died Sunday in Saanich after a vehicle struck him.

Sgt. Julie Fast of the Saanich Police and Victoria Police had contact with the man the day before his death for mental health concerns.

“As a result of this, the Independent Investigations Office of BC has been notified,” she said.

RELATED: Cyclist in Sunday crash on Pat Bay Highway succumbs to injuries

The man, a 24-year-old Victoria resident, died Sunday at the scene of a collision near the intersection of Highway 17 and Royal Oak Drive.

Fast said the man was walking with his bicycle beside the southbound lanes on Highway 17 by the Royal Oak overpass, then stepped into traffic and was immediately struck by a truck.

“The driver of the truck had no opportunity to avoid the collision,” said Fast. “The man sustained significant injuries and died at the scene. His death has not been deemed suspicious and Saanich Police have turned the investigation over to the BC Coroners Service.”

Detective Sgt. Damian Kowalewich said earlier Monday that Saanich police would not release the identity of the man at this stage. Police had announced his death Monday morning at 2 a.m.

“Our thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends,” said Kowalewich.

RELATED: Five pedestrians killed across Greater Victoria in the last 12 months

Following Sunday’s collision, police closed off portions of the highway as they were investigating the incident. Crews diverted southbound traffic at the intersection of Highway 17 and Haliburton Road through Elk Lake Drive. This diversion caused visible traffic delays as police investigated the scene.

This death is at least the second traffic-related death in Saanich this year. In February, a 62-year-old Gordon Head woman died after a vehicle struck.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

wolfgang.depner@saanichnews.com

Just Posted

Man who killed Langford teen attended her memorial service, demonstrates little remorse

Parole Board of Canada documents reveal factors in parole decision

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Oak Bay’s Food Forum closes after 37 years

Open on Christmas Day, the Estevan Village grocery had lovable quirks

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read