Fireworks are still the biggest concern when it comes to explosives in Langford, said fire Chief Bob Beckett.
An old email sent out by a member of Langford Fire Rescue resurfaced recently. It was a chain letter the department received and forwarded out into the community as a precaution about a year ago.
It talked about the dangers of youths to mixing household chemicals to make an explosive device of plastic bottles. While Langford Fire Rescue forwarded the email, Beckett has never seen a case of the exploding pop bottles in his 16 years with the department.
“This is an old email that was recirculated. It is not currently a problem, but we are aware of the risk,” Beckett said.
“Mixing the household chemicals creates a reaction causing vessels to explode. The real risk is the caustic nature of the contents that could slash out and burn someone.”