Oily rags catch fire, burn Langford home

Home renovation project requires start over after blaze

A Langford family continues to regroup after fire damaged much of the upper floor of the home they were renovating on Willshire Drive off Sooke Road.

The fire, which burned intensely but was extinguished by Langford Fire Rescue crews in about half an hour in the early hours of Aug. 8, was believed to have started from the “spontaneous combustion” of rags covered in wood stain that had been placed in a bag together.

Family members had been working on staining the kitchen cupboards and had gone to bed Friday night after cleaning up, said Langford Fire Assistant Chief Chris Aubrey.

“They were pretty surprised that (stored rags) could cause that to happen,” he said. “But that can happen anytime you’re using oils. A person has to be cautious of how you store them.”

Five occupants were in the house at the time of the fire. One son awoke to the sound of the smoke alarm, while the others were roused by the sound of the fire, Aubrey said. The three younger residents got out through a doorway, while the parents were forced to jump from a second-storey window. They were checked out for minor injuries but did not require hospitalization.

Multiple calls to 911 came in around midnight Friday. Due to the large amount of smoke, some residents first believed their own home might be on fire, Aubrey said.

When fire crews arrived – the No. 2 hall at Happy Valley Road is right around the corner – there were flames shooting out the rear of the home. “We worried initially about the direction of the flames and the smoke,” Aubrey said, as there were trees and a deck next door not far away.

Damage to the home was estimated at about $200,000. Emergency Social Services was on scene and helped the family find alternate short-term lodging.

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

Just Posted

West Shore parents want $10-a-day daycare pilot at other centres

Some parents want pilot funding going towards families in financial need

NDP’s Jagmeet Singh proposes new approach to tackling opioid crisis

Singh says the government should look at harm reduction rather than punishment

UPDATED: Malahat reopened in both directions following car fire

Drive BC says the road will be closed until approximately 3pm

Police still investigating possible child abduction in Langford

Suspect was a stranger and not a family member

20 per cent down payment means many still cannot afford to own their own home

Study finds Langford one of only four markets without a gap between required and actual income in owning a home

First ticket sold for Victoria’s second comic con

Guest list is top-secret for the March 22-24 Capital City Comic Con coming 2019

Hunter who saved B.C. man pinned inside smashed truck says ‘God was sending me to him’

Sayward man describes chance discovery of Duncan Moffat, 23, in northern Vancouver Island woods

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Nov. 14

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Road-weary Canucks thumped 6-2 by Wild

Vancouver hosts the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday

Toronto private school didn’t report alleged sexual assault to police

Police say a sexual assault at an all-boys Catholic institution was not reported to them

China says butt out; Canada calls for release of “arbitrarily” detained Muslims

A Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman accused Canada’s envoy of going beyond their diplomatic roles

Dead Saskatoon tattoo artist’s skin removed and preserved

The skin was removed in honour of the well known artist’s work

North Cowichan is Canada’s hot spot on Wednesday

The Warmland lives up to its name

B.C. Realtor suspended after helping intern forge note about sick grandma

Vancouver real estate agent Jaideep Singh Puri has to pay fine, take ethics course

Most Read