Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools is preparing a rapid response team proposal for submission to the B.C. Ministry of Education. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)

Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools is preparing a rapid response team proposal for submission to the B.C. Ministry of Education. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)

Nanaimo school district chosen as Vancouver Island’s COVID-19 rapid response team

Team to consist of SD68 and Island Health staff, according to B.C. Ministry of Education

Nanaimo-Ladysmith has been selected by the B.C. Ministry of Education as a lead school district for a regional COVID-19 rapid response team.

The ministry previously announced health authority region-specific teams would be assembled, and in an e-mail, told the News Bulletin that teams will be “deployed to review recent cases and report back to the district to ensure everything is being done to maintain the health and safety of students and staff in B.C. schools.” Specific duties could include reviewing school COVID-19 safety plans, working with school and district staff and health authority personnel to review significant school exposure events, making recommendations in response to findings and conducting safety assessments, the ministry said, with teams comprised of members from the school district and Island Health.

Dale Burgos, school district spokesperson, told the News Bulletin the district is currently working on a proposal that will be submitted Friday, Feb. 26.

“We’ve seen what other districts on the rapid response teams are looking at, at this point, and there could be an inclusion of somebody like an environmental health officer, for example,” said Burgos. “We’ll of course have the medical health officers on the Island involved in that team as well and being the district that’s named on it, we’ve got many practices in place that we could incorporate into a document that could be shared.

“That’s everything from first steps, when we hear of the exposure, to what forms need to be filled out to share with the ministry. From start to finish, all of that information will be included in these documents.”

After the proposal has been received, the ministry said it will be reviewed and amendments will be made, if necessary. The province previously announced it would provide a total of $900,000 for response teams. After proposals have been approved, districts will receive their allotment by early March, the ministry said. How much a team will receive will be based on the scope of the proposal and relative need, said the ministry.

The district has seen a number of COVID-19 exposures in recent weeks.

On Feb. 25, the district announced Dover Bay Secondary and McGirr and Uplands Park elementary schools had experienced a COVID-19 exposure, with the potential exposure date Feb. 22. Island Health completed contact tracing, the district said.

Mountain View Elementary and Ladysmith Secondary are also on the exposure list, and Nanaimo District Secondary and Bayview Elementary schools were taken off Monday and Tuesday respectively, said the district.

Scott Saywell, district superintendent and CEO, told trustees at their Feb. 24 board meeting that Mountain View is expected to be removed from the list on March 2 and Ladysmith Secondary on March 4, if there aren’t any further exposure incidents.

The district is also set to meet with the Nanaimo-Ladysmith teachers’ union to discuss rapid response teams on Friday, according to Denise Wood, union president.

Other districts named as rapid response teams are Peace River North, Vancouver, Central Okanagan and Surrey. There will also be a team for independent schools.

RELATED: Nanaimo teachers’ union hopes for stricter mask rules

RELATED: COVID-19 exposures reported at Mountain View school

RELATED: B.C. rolls out regional COVID-19 ‘rapid response teams’



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Karl on Twitter and Instagram

CoronavirusEducationNanaimo

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The Latoria South section of the Royal Bay development in Colwood could include a new long-term care facility. (Black Press Media file photo)
Colwood’s Royal Bay could be home to new long-term care facilities

Capital Regional Hospital District board approves $8M land purchase for purpose

Demonstrators at the legislature on April 14 called on the province to decriminalize drug possession and provide widespread access to regulated safe supply across B.C. (Jake Romphf/News Staff)
Rally calls for decriminalization, safe supply as overdose emergency turns 5

From 2016 to the end of February, 7,072 British Columbians died due to overdose

(Black Press Media file photo)
Youth gets combative with police at Victoria hospital

VicPD officer injured, youth kept in care under Mental Health Act

A man with a history of sexual offences was arrested after he followed and aggressively tried to talk to two young woman on the weekend. Black Press File Photo
Man convicted of sexual offences arrested after teens followed in Victoria

Women hid in a Quadra Village convenience store as man aggressively tried to get in

A few dozen students and parents gathered outside Lansdowne Middle School April 14 to protest proposed budget cuts to SD61 music programs. From left to right: Lyra Gaudin, Cleo Bateman, Abby Farish, Brigitte Peters, Enid Gaudin, Des Farish. (Jane Skrypnek/News Staff)
SD61’s proposed $7 million cuts threaten equity and inclusion, say parents, teachers

Music classes, inclusion services, reading programs on the line

(Black Press Media file photo)
POLL: Do you have a plan in place in the event of a tsunami?

Tsunamis have claimed the lives of more than 250,000 people between 1998… Continue reading

Anyone with information on any of these individuals is asked to call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visit the website victoriacrimestoppers.ca for more information.
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of April 13

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

(Government of Canada)
Liberal MP caught stark naked during House of Commons video conference

William Amos, in Quebec, appeared on the screens of his fellow members of Parliament completely naked

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C.’s COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature, Feb. 1, 2020. (B.C. government)
B.C.’s COVID-19 case count jumps to 1,168 Wednesday, nearly 400 in hospital

Now 120 coronavirus patients in intensive care, six more deaths

Moss covered branches are seen in the Avatar Old Growth Forest near Port Renfrew on Vancouver Island, B.C. Thursday, Sept. 29, 2011. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C. blockades aimed at protecting old-growth forests reveal First Nation split

Two Pacheedaht chiefs say they’re ‘concerned about the increasing polarization over forestry activities’ in the territory

One of the grand prizes for this year's Hometown Heroes Lottery includes a seaside home at SookePoint, $1.5 million, and an Audi Quattro. (Photo courtesy of Hometown Heroes)
Hometown Heroes Lottery features seaside home in Sooke

A stunning seaside home in Sooke could be yours for the price… Continue reading

City workers from Duncan were busy recently putting up street signs in both Hul’q’umi’num’ and English. (Submitted photo)
Hul’q’umi’num street signs installed in downtown Duncan

Partnership with Cowichan Tribes sees English street names twinned with Indigenous language

Homicide investigators who asked not to be identified put up signs Wednesday, April 14, along the Nanaimo Parkway in the area where a body was found March 31. RCMP are asking for witnesses or dash cam footage as the suspicious death has now been ruled a homicide. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
Suspicious death along the highway in Nanaimo now being investigated as a homicide

RCMP identify victim as Randell Charles Thomas, repeat call for any information related to the case

Most Read