Shane Edward Steinhauer, a former resident of tent city, has pleaded guilty to a weapons charge related to an Aug. 3 incident at a parking lot at Port Place Shopping Centre. (News Bulletin file)

Man arrested in machete-wielding incident on Vancouver Island pleads guilty

Two men were charged after brandishing weapons in response to laser pointer provocation

A man arrested after wielding a machete in an incident across the street from Nanaimo’s tent city last summer has entered a guilty plea and been released from jail.

Shane Edward Steinhauer, who Nanaimo RCMP say was a resident of the former Discontent City at 1 Port Drive, pleaded guilty to a count of possessing a weapon – a kitchen knife – for a dangerous purpose, at provincial court in Nanaimo Wednesday, in front of Judge Douglas Cowling. Steinhauer, along with William Robert Carrigan, were charged with numerous offences after an Aug. 3 incident at the mall parkade, where police say two carloads of people allegedly shone a laser pointer at the homeless encampment.

Steinhauer and Carrigan, reportedly armed with knives, machetes and a baseball bat, confronted the people at the parking lot, according to police. The vehicles tried to leave, but the two men charged were said to have made verbal threats and vandalized vehicles, said RCMP. Carrigan had a small axe tucked in his pants at the time of his arrest, police said.

RELATED: Machete-, bat-wielding tent city residents to stand trial

RELATED: Tent city residents arrested after reacting to laser pointer

Among conditions of his release, Steinhauer will be forbidden from having contact with Carrigan and attending both Port Place mall and the former tent city site, which is now a bus loop. He won’t be allowed to possess any knife or sharp instrument, except for purposes of dining, said the judge.

Cowling also heard that Cheyne Hodson, Carrigan’s legal counsel, is working with Ken Paziuk, Crown counsel, on a resolution.

A date for Steinhauer’s sentencing is scheduled to be set on June 11, while Carrigan’s sentencing date is expected to be set on June 18.

A provincial court trial had been set to begin Wednesday.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Disturbing sexual, criminal trends with Greater Victoria youth on the rise

Family counsellors see unprecedented rise in youth sexual assaults and exploitation of children

Russell Books marks opening of new location by setting Guiness World Record

Store stacks world record books more than six metres high

Petition calls on province to cover transfer fees after Island adoption centre closes – again

‘Choices clients weren’t told the ship was sinking,’ says would-be parent

PHOTOS: 11th annual Gingerbread Showcase comes to Victoria

Bakers spent more than 100 hours perfecting their creations

UPDATED: Goldstream Avenue re-opens after gas leak in Langford

Nearby schools not impacted by the closure

VIDEO: B.C. to restrict nicotine content, bring in 20% tax on vaping products

Province will also restrict candy and fruit flavoured vaping products to adult-only stores

POLL: Do you support CUPE workers in their dispute with School District 63?

SD63 schools to remain closed as strike continues Tuesday

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Nov. 12

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

‘City that protects rapists’: Sexual assault survivor slams Kelowna mayor for defending RCMP

Heather Friesen spent the morning handing out flyers around city hall calling out the mayor

Batten down the hatches: Wet and windy weekend on the way for coastal B.C.

Environment Canada issues special weather warning for Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island

BC Liquor Stores to move fully to paper bags by March

Vancouver Island to be the first to convert to paper bags in November

Tolko shuts B.C. divisions for two weeks over holidays

Head office to close from Dec. 23-27; two weeks’ downtime runs Dec. 21-Jan. 6

B.C. government working with RCMP to address $10 million in budget cuts

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth issues statement following report of RCMP cost-cutting

Port Moody mayor says stayed sex assault charge related to ‘awkward date’

Rob Vagramov said charge was related to a string of dates in 2015

Most Read