Langford kitchen fires prompt chat from fire dept. on prevention

Monitor your cooking on the stove, assistant chief says

Langford Fire Rescue is reminding residents to be extra vigilant in the kitchen after two recent house fires.

“We don’t want your smoke alarm to remind you there’s something on the stove,” said Assistant Chief Chris Aubrey.

Not only are kitchens the most common place for fires in homes to start, he said, the number one cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking. Aubrey recommended setting a timer as a reminder and warned residents to stay in the kitchen while cooking – even if the hockey game is on in the other room.

On March 26, Langford crews were called to a house in the 900-block of Bray Avenue just after 10 p.m. The homeowner returned home to find a fire in his kitchen and managed to knock down the flames with an extinguisher before calling 9-1-1.

The man had put a pot of oil on the stove, forgotten about it and went out to meet some friends, Aubrey said.

“I think he was going to cook some fish.” The homeowner arrived just in time, Aubrey added, otherwise it could have been a really bad situation. “He was concerned the fire may have gone up into the attic.”

The damage to the home was estimated at about $50,000.

The incident came a week after a house fire about a block away on Knotty Pine Road, where unattended cooking wasn’t the cause. However, the fire did originate in the kitchen, Aubrey said. An overheated coffee maker was left plugged in while a family member was called away from the home.

A neighbour walking by saw the smoke and called the fire department. Damage to the exterior of the home was limited, but crews didn’t fully realize the extent of the fire until they were able to get inside the home.

“It was so hot it actually burned through the floor to the level below,” Aubrey said. While damage was mostly confined to the kitchen, he said, repairs to the home are still estimated to take between six to eight months.

The damage was estimated at $150,000 and the family’s dog perished in the fire. No other members of the family were home at the time.

Aubrey said crews believe the smoke detectors in the home were not working properly. He stressed the importance of checking detectors regularly.

katie@goldstreamgazette.com

Just Posted

Federal government actions hurt Sooke hatchery fundraising efforts

Funding denial comes on the heels of fishing closures

SD62 student places third in province-wide French competition

12-year-old Sasha Zandieh won third with a speech on poet Pablo Neruda

Jesse Roper learns to create fire in the wild, in Sacred Knowledge web series

Ragnarock Studios production shares primitive skills with Islanders

Island athlete goes from hoop dreams to icy track

Cyrus Gray hopes to punch his ticket to Olympics in bobsleigh

Oak Bay researcher’s Canadian English dictionary goes to print

How an unknown American hobbyist sparked a Canadian dictionary

Police release photos of suspect in daytime sex assault at Vancouver woman’s home

A young woman, in hers 20s, was followed home by the man, before he violently attacked her inside

Raptors beat Bucks 100-94 to advance to franchise’s first-ever NBA Finals

Leonard has 27 points, 17 boards to lead Toronto past Milwaukee

Third person charged in death of B.C. teen Bhavkiran Dhesi

Inderdeep Kaur Deo facing charge of accessory after the fact to murder

Kamloops girl, 9, recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning now out of ICU

Her mother who was sleeping in the same tent with her did not survive

‘I think he’s still alive’: B.C. mom pleads for help finding son last seen a month ago

Family offering $5,000 reward for information leading to the safe return of Tim Delahaye

New poll suggests one-third don’t want politicians to wear religious symbols

Local politicians shouldn’t be allowed to wear hijabs, crucifixes or turbans on the job, survey suggests

Raptors fans far from home adjust plans to watch pivotal playoff game

Raptors currently lead the playoff series 3-2, and a win Saturday would vault them into NBA finals

PHOTOS: First responders in Fernie rescue baby owl who fell from nest

The baby owl’s inability to fly back to its nest prompted a rescue by first responders

Five takeaways from the Court of Appeal ruling on B.C.’s pipeline law

It’s unclear how many tools are left in B.C.’s toolbox to fight the project

Most Read