House fires prompt reminder from Langford department

Fire crews warn residents to stay in the kitchen while cooking

Langford Fire Rescue is reminding residents to be extra vigilant in the kitchen after two recent house fires.

“We don’t want your smoke alarm to remind you there’s something on the stove,” said assistant chief Chris Aubrey. He added the number one cause of house fires is the kitchen and the number one cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking.

He recommended setting a timer as a reminder and warned residents to stay in the kitchen while cooking – even if the hockey game is on in the other room.

On Easter weekend Langford crews were called to a home in the 900-block of Bray Avenue just after 10 p.m. Aubrey said the homeowner came home to find a fire in his kitchen and managed to knock down the flames with an extinguisher before calling 9-1-1. “He was concerned the fire may have gone up into the attic.”

The homeowner had put a pot of oil on the stove, forgotten about it and went out to meet some friends. “I think he was going to cook some fish,” Aubrey added the homeowner came home just in time, otherwise it could have been a really bad situation.

The department estimated the damage to be about $50,000.

This incident came on the heels of another house fire a week prior about a block away on Knotty Pine Road. Although, Aubrey noted that was not a case of unattended cooking but the fire did originate in the kitchen.

In that case, the fire was caused by an overheated coffee maker that had been left plugged in while a family member was called away from the home. A neighbour walking by saw the smoke and called fire crews. Damage to the exterior of the home was limited, and Aubrey said crews didn’t initially realize the extent of the fire until they were able to get inside.

“It was so hot it actually burned through the floor to the level below,” he said. While most of the damage was confined to the kitchen area, he said repairs to the home are still estimated to take between six to eight months. The damage was estimated at $150,000 and unfortunately the family’s dog perished in the fire. No other members of the family were home at the time.

Aubrey said crews believe the smoke detectors in the home were not working properly and stressed the importance of checking detectors regularly.

katie@goldstreamgazette.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Hydro pole fire closes portion of Metchosin Road in Colwood

Motorists are advised to avoid the area of Metchosin Road near Royal Bay

Saanich roads doused in more than 300 tonnes of salt during snowstorm

Crews cleared roads around the clock during the mid-January storm

Esquimalt arsonist sentenced to two years in jail, thanks police, defence lawyer and taxpayers

Wei Li was convicted of intentionally lighting his rental property on fire in October 2017

‘We thought it was an earthquake,’ homeowners okay after tree falls

Mature tree falls on roof of Victoria Avenue house

VIDEO: The Victoria byelection leads a selection of today’s news stories

A selection of Greater Victoria top stories for Jan. 17

Theft victim confronts suspects with baseball bat on Vancouver Island

RCMP in Nanaimo seek to identify of two people alleged to have used a stolen credit card

Closed mills, housing surge support a positive forecast for lumber industries

B.C. lumber producers have closed mills accounting for 18% of province’s capacity, RBC report says

Kelowna’s ‘Baby Mary’ finds biological parents after more than 30 years

Geneologist and DNA test helped her connect with her biological parents

SOOKE HISTORY: Remembering Salvatore (Sam) Pasta

Salvatore (Sam) Pasta lived life to the fullest

Clerk bruised, traumatized after armed robbery at Nanaimo liquor store

Few details on male suspect in Wednesday incident, says Nanaimo RCMP

One last blast of winter tonight for parts of the Island before temperatures on the rise

A snowfall warning is in effect Friday including east Vancouver Island.

POLL: Has the recent snow had an impact on your daily life?

Old Man Winter had Greater Victoria in his icy grip this week.… Continue reading

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Jan. 14

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Most Read