Quick acting kids and a fast response from Metchosin firefighters stopped a structure fire in its tracks on Monday.
The fire was contained to one room and a closet after 10 fire firefighters arrived within five minutes of the 8:14 a.m. call.
“We got there so fast because we have a daytime crew,” said Metchosin fire Chief Stephanie Dunlop.
The fire began in the chimney and spread into the room of a house on Spellman Place off Lindholm Road.
Two children initially spotted the fire inside the home and alerted their father and grandfather. One of the men helped contain the fire with a fire extinguisher. They called 9-1-1 and vacated the house.
Dunlop credits the use of the fire extinguisher and the quick response time for the fire not spreading. “Everyone should have a fire extinguisher and a fire escape plan,” she said.
The Metchosin Volunteer Fire Department has recently signed up 11 new recruits, filling up its roster of firefighters.
“We don’t have a spare hook,” Dunlop said.