A dozen homes were evacuated after a chemical spill occurred outside a residence in the 1500 block of Middle Rd. on the Songhees Nation land.
View Royal fire department and the West Shore RCMP responded to the mobile home park Thursday night and quickly established a perimeter to secure the area, while the Capital Regional District’s hazardous material response team investigated the substance.
The tenant was improperly disposing of what appeared to be sodium hydroxide, said Const. Alex Berube. CRD HazMat was still conducting on-site tests at press time to confirm the exact nature of the substance.
Sodium hydroxide, more commonly known as caustic soda or lye, is an industrial strength detergent.
The evacuated residents were able to return to their homes the same night, and there were no injuries from the spill.
“There is an investigation ongoing in the dumping of the chemical,” said Berube.