A gas leak prompted the evacuation of the Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre Tuesday afternoon.
Crews struck a 1 3/4-inch line behind the main building at around 3 p.m.
“Juan de Fuca staff were very proactive,” said Colwood Fire Chief John Cassidy. “They had the building evacuated for us.”
The gas was also shut off before fire crews arrived on scene. The department conducted a sweep of the building to make sure no pockets of gas remained and the site was safe to re-enter. Firefighters were on scene for approximately 30 minutes.
Fortis B.C. also arrived on scene to repair the damage line and work with West Shore Parks and Recreation staff to safely restore gas to the building.