A common garbage room at Christy Point Apartments caught fire early Monday morning.
The fire went unnoticed until smoke reached a neighbouring suite and set off the resident’s smoke alarm. The fire department was called just before 5 a.m. to the Craigowan Road building.
“The fire had been burning for quite awhile,” View Royal fire Chief Paul Hurst said. “Fortunately a fire wall kept it contained to the one room.”
A total of 31 fire fighters from View Royal and Colwood responded and were able to knock the fire down within a few minutes.
Four suites on the second floor above the garbage room were evacuated as a precautionary measure. Those suites had only minor smoke damage.
The garbage room, however, was completely gutted. The damage is estimated at $10,000.
“We believe it was set accidentally. Somebody likely discarded something that sparked the fire,” Hurst said.
He reminds the public to ensure cigarette buts, ashes, and other combustibles are fully extinguished before are thrown away.