When Bonnie McCann arrived at Langford Centre to open up her flower shop Wednesday morning (June 20), she was greeted by a fire next door.
“The smoke was streaming out the back of the building and out the chimneys,” said McCann, who parked behind the building. “I didn’t open the door because it was hot.”
At 8:22 a.m., Langford Fire Recuse was called to Zin Sushi and Noodle, located in the mall on Goldstream Avenue. Fire crews from all three of the municipality’s fire stations arrived on scene with 16 firefighters.
“We knocked the fire out very quickly. The fire was contained to the unit of origin,” said Langford fire Chief Bob Beckett, adding neighbouring shops filled with smoke.
The owners of the sushi restaurant, Joshua and Helen Park, arrived around 8:45 a.m. They appeared distraught and declined to comment.
Nearby shops including Western Foods were evacuated.
“We had more staff than customers in the store (at the time),” said Josie Turner, Western Foods office manager. Around 8:30 a.m. Western Foods began to fill up with smoke, “I don’t think there is any damage but it smells really bad.”
The fire is currently under investigation.
Langford Centre shop fire history
In April 4, 2011, a fire gutted Salty’s Fish and Chips. The store didn’t have sprinklers and the fire was caused by “an electrical device placed near combustibles,” remembers Langford fire Chief Bob Beckett.
Bonnie McCann, owner of Every Blooming Thing Florist, located next to Zin Sushi and Noodle, has been displaced three times due to fires in the mall. Western Foods, which is on the other side of McCann’ shop, has had two fires in the past 15 years.
“I am right in the middle (of both stores) I get it every time,” McCann said, wiping tears from her face. “My store is full of smoke. It gets on all the products and I have to throw (them) away. You can’t sell stuff that smells of smoke.”