Victoria-Swan Lake MLA Rob Fleming and Victoria Regional Transit Commission chair Susan Brice listen as Carla Qualtrough, federal minister of public services, announces next phase of bus-only lanes for Highway 1 at the B.C. legislature Wednesday. (Black Press)

Feds fork out funds as Greater Victoria continues bus lane improvements

Southbound Highway 1 and Douglas Street lane in Saanich gets $4.9 million

A second bus-only lane between the Burnside bridges and Tolmie Avenue on Highway 1 in Saanich is the latest part of transit improvements for Greater Victoria’s increasingly congested highways.

READ ALSO: Bikes welcome in Douglas Street bus lane until it hits Saanich border

Carla Qualtrough, federal minister of public services, announced Ottawa’s share of the financing at the B.C. legislature Wednesday. The $4.9 million federal share combines with the $11 million provincial share for the southbound lane project, matching the northbound lane completed in December.

READ ALSO: New Victoria bus lane to ‘save people valuable time’: Province

Susan Brice, chair of the Victoria Regional Transit Commission, said the ongoing improvements have already made riding the bus more attractive as transit is moving faster than the often-clogged traffic entering the city from the north.

The new lane establishes a system of continuous bus lanes in both directions between the Mackenzie interchange and downtown Victoria.


@tomfletcherbc
tfletcher@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Ambitious B.C. Aviation Museum need $10M to get iconic Lancaster back in the air

Volunteers flock to work on bomber, restoration expected to take 10 years

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority to fall fake eagle tree at Ogden Point

Last year a fake tree was installed to try to entice eagles to stay in the area, without much success

Saanich to potentially host first hydrogen fuel station on Vancouver Island

Station proposed for corner of Quadra Street and McKenzie Avenue

Saanich to recognize Coun. Judy Brownoff for a quarter century on council

Award presentation will take place Monday evening

Langford man sentenced to 15 months for child pornography collection

Andre Mollon sentenced for posession of more than 1,000 child pornography images and 70 videos

Victoria hosts ‘Ultimate Hockey Fan Cave’

The hockey cave was recently featured on a Netflix special

Inspirational Vancouver Island youngster dies after battle with brain cancer

Kaiden Finley ‘was seriously the strongest 11-year-old’

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

Most Read