John Barsby Secondary School is one of several Nanaimo schools under hold-and-secure today, Jan. 18, after a student threatened self-harm. (News Bulletin photo)

UPDATE: Hold-and-secure lifted after Nanaimo RCMP locate student who threatened self-harm

Eight schools were under hold-and-secure orders after possible threat Thursday, Jan. 18

A hold-and-secure on eight schools in south Nanaimo has been lifted.

Nanaimo RCMP advised that a youth, who had threatened self-harm, has been located. Nanaimo RCMP spokesman Gary O’Brien told the News Bulletin police are assessing the youth’s well-being.

Nanaimo school district put John Barsby Secondary as well as Georgia Avenue, Park Avenue, Bayview, Brechin, Pauline Haarer, Fairview and Cilaire elementary schools under a hold-and-secure order as a precaution this morning.

It meant entrance doors were locked and no one was able enter or exit the buildings, but classes continued as usual inside.

Nanaimo RCMP spokesman Gary O’Brien told the News Bulletin a student was threatening self-harm. The RCMP would not speak to the nature of the self-harm.

Dale Burgos, school district spokesman, said there was a possible threat in the community but would not comment on the threat, which was still being investigated. John Barsby went into hold-and-secure at 10:30 a.m. this morning and other schools followed just before 11:30 a.m.

“This is as a precaution because it’s not just localized to one area, so we’re just making sure that we cover most areas in the district,” Burgos said of the threat.

The school district sent out a social media message just after noon to say the hold and secure had been lifted at all schools.



news@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Goldstream park campground reopens after tent city cleanup

The campground was closed to the public on Sept. 20 by the provincial government

Tents remain erected at homeless park in Oak Bay Friday morning

The District of Oak Bay issued a notice cease encampment Thursday afternoon

Sooke woman seeks changes in assisted dying law

Family’s ordeal has spurred a petition to Parliament

Uruguay leads the world in pot legalization with Canada second

The small Latin American started to legalize pot in early 2010

Supportive cancer care centre highlights Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Almost 30,000 people in B.C. will get diagnosed with cancer this year

WATCH: Twelve Angry Jurors puts a new spin on an old tale

Canadian College of Performing Arts opens season with reworked version of Reginald Rose teleplay

Find your future at Black Press career fair in Victoria

More than 70 booths expected at Bay Street Armoury on Oct. 25

POLL: Do you support amalgamation for communities in the Capital Region?

Residents in Victoria and Saanich will be voting on Oct. 20 on… Continue reading

Shots fired at Vancouver Island house during fight

Shots were fired at about 2:30 p.m. Thursday in 500 block of Kennedy Street, say Nanaimo RCMP

Nanaimo RCMP warn public after nine-year-old girl approached by motorist

Incident happened Wednesday morning near Park Avenue School

Migrants, police mass in town on Guatemala-Mexico border

Many of the more than 2,000 Hondurans in a migrant caravan trying to wend its way to the United States left spontaneously with little more than the clothes on their backs and what they could quickly throw into backpacks.

5 to start your day

Man killed in shooting at Abbotsford bank, ex-Surrey cop to appear in court after Creep Catchers sting and more

Trump: ‘Severe’ consequences if Saudis murdered Khashoggi

Pro-government newspaper Yeni Safak on Wednesday said it had obtained audio recordings of the alleged killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.

Most Read