Firefighters suspect a cigarette butt tossed out a car window ignited at grass and bush fire in Metchosin Thursday afternoon.
The fire started near Deer Park Trail road shortly after 1 p.m. When Metchosin volunteer firefighters arrived, the sizable fire was about 200 feet by 70 feet as it crawled up a rock bank, said fire Chief Stephanie Dunlop.
“Once we got there is didn’t take long to get it under control,” Dunlop said.
The rock face was covered with a thick layer of moss, which made fire crews cautious.
“The fire can reoccur because it can travel under the moss,” Dunlop said, explaining the crew made sure to carefully extinguish smoldering moss and surrounding areas.
The fire started near the roadway and crept up to private property. The fire was not reported by the homeowner because they couldn’t see the fire travelling up the hill, Dunlop said. The blaze was reported by a neighbour across the road.
Langford Fire Rescue was called in as mutual-aid before the size of the fire was determined. The Langford crews did not stay on scene as it took six Metchosin fire fighters to contain and extinguish the fire.
“People need to dispose of their cigarette butts properly,” Dunlop said.