Animals saved from house fire in Langford

Two tenants unharmed after fire starts in kitchen of home

Eight cats and one dog were rescued from a house fire in the 1000-block of Shaw Ave. near Florence Lake last night.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of the lower suite of the home. Langford firefighters believe at least two people were in the home at the time. One was trying to contain the fire with an extinguisher while the other called 911.

Eventually the people left the home, unharmed, and waited for fire crews. When help arrived the tenants told them about the animals in the upstairs suite.

“Cats are like us when they are scared, they hide,” said Langford firefighter Lt. Glenn Cooper.

Firefighters made four trips into the home to save the nine animals. A veterinarian was called in and determined all the animals to be healthy.

The homeowner is in California and hadn’t been reached as of this afternoon. Firefighters were back in the house today checking for any additional animals, but it is believed all were accounted for.

Langford Fire Rescue encourages pet owners to place a sticker on their door noting that animals live in the home, in case of fire.

charla@goldstreamgazette.com

Just Posted

SD61 to install new water fountains over lead concerns

They’re installing 350 new water fountains in local schools due to concerns over elevated levels of lead in the water system

West Shore firefighters band together to support men’s health

More than $8,200 raised for Movember campaign

Holiday gift wrapping tips and tricks

Streamline your process to avoid the hassle

Omnibus zoning bylaw sent for revisions to prevent blanket upzoning in downtown Victoria

More than 10 downtown properties identified by Downtown Residents Association

UPDATE: Four vehicle crash on Sooke Road snarls traffic in Colwood

Sooke Road reopens to traffic in both direction

VIDEO: That’s a wrap: Be a Santa to a Senior packages ready to go out

Program hands out more than 600 gifts to Greater Victoria seniors

Owl found dead after eating rat poison leaves B.C. woman concerned

After finding the owl on her Surrey property, Christine Trozzo says the poison is a concern for kids

Change to CPP death benefit panned as insufficient to cover funeral costs

Funeral Services Association of Canada lobbied governments to raise the value to $3,580

Shelbourne Community Kitchen vies for $20,000 prize

Epicure Foundation, based in North Saanich, will give five groups $20,000 each

Woman in Nanaimo accidentally hands over diamond ring with spare change

Incident happened Wednesday at about 7 p.m. at parking lot near Nanaimo’s boardwalk

B.C. woman brain injured in crash as a baby gets $1.1 million in damages

Trial heard the woman was 16 months old, being carried by her mother when they were both hit

Optimistic Victoria whale watching company invests in new vessel

Banner 2017 tourist season helps Prince of Whales decide to boost service

Victoria cycling advocate makes pitch lor lower speeds on local roads

Group points to evidence suggesting 30 km/h speed limit would save money, lives

Most Read