Island Health has issued a public health warning for Langford Lake, after a blue green algae bloom was spotted in the Leigh Road beach and boardwalk area.
The warning asks that until further notice, the public avoid drinking the lake water, not swim in areas where scum is present, and keep pets and other livestock away from the water. Also, fish caught in the lake should be thoroughly cleaned, and the guts discarded.
Island Health issued the advisory on Friday and the City of Langford was putting up signage making the public aware of the situation. Blue green algae blooms are a public health concern because they may produce dangerous toxins, stated Island Health in a news release.
If you have concerns about possible human or animal exposure, or show signs of sudden sickness or poisoning, call your health care provider or veterinarian immediately.
- Submit News Tip
- Coronavirus News
- Trending Now
- Photo Galleries
- Special Sections
- Contact Us
- Site Map