“Empowering young women was initially what attracted me to the beauty business over three decades ago,” says Lorie Chadsey, director of the Academy of Excellence Hair Design & Aesthetics (AOE) in Colwood. “I was involved in skin care – alleviating teen acne and other types of skin problems, which built the clients’ self confidence. From there I found my passion in teaching clients, and then students, about the exciting beauty and wellness industry.”
The AOE instructors, including Lorie, encourage others to join this bliss-filled industry. Not just for all the reasons below, but also because it’s a super fun and friendly environment. “We’re like a big family at the Academy. While serious about education, we like to have fun too!”
Top 5 Reasons to get into the Beauty Business
- There are tons of jobs. The number of spas and hair salons crying out for accredited professional staff that hold a Diploma is staggering. AOE reports that they constantly have requests for graduates, not just in Victoria but throughout the province.
- The money is good. The average starting salary is between $30,000 and $50,000. After spending about $ 13,800 on a ten-month, five-day a week program, your return on investment is very good – you’ll be able to pay off school fees after only a couple of years.
- You’ll be doing one of the happiest jobs around. People working in the beauty and wellness sector see this as more than a job, it’s often a calling. Happiness factors at play include seeing clear results, having a variety of tasks, low stress and making others happy.
- It’s the perfect job for those who love people. Hair stylists and aestheticians enjoy connecting with others and making a difference, small or significant, in their clients’ lives. Being a professional hair stylist or aesthetician provides a sense of purpose – knowing that you can help people be their most beautiful and confident selves.
- You can see the world! Since your hands are your tools, once you have your diploma from an accredited school like AOE you can head to far-off ports. For example, the Academy has partnered with Steiner Leisure, the on-board spa services company for the world’s major cruise ship lines.
Anyone interested in attending the Academy of Excellence program, starting in January, should make contact soon, since there’s a class limit of 12. Email AOE today for your tour and chat.
Consumers are reminded that the school offers the full range of supervised spa and hair services at reasonable rates. For the perfect pampering Christmas gift, pick up a gift card today from AOE.