While it’s true that inspiration can be found around every corner – not to mention on design-focused sites like Pinterest and Houzz – the sheer volume can be overwhelming.
Here’s the inside scope from Azucena Saavedra Onuszkanycz, Senior Interior Architectural Designer with MAC Renovations, on places where homeowners starting to plan their dream renovation might also seek inspiration.
For many, that place is Instagram.
“Design inspiration can be found on many social media platforms, but Instagram has quickly become a favourite for designers around the world and clients are hopping on it too,” Azu says. “Its diverse user platform allows you to see what’s happening around the world and upcoming trends.”
Of course, Instagram is a big place, so we asked Azu for her top five accounts to watch for those planning or dreaming about a home renovation here on Vancouver Island.
- @Kitchens_of_insta – This group collects and showcases amazing kitchen designs from around the world, offering some terrific ideas we may not be seeing in our corner of the globe just yet, Azu says, noting you’ll also see a wide variety of styles here, ranging from modern to contemporary to traditional.
- @Jenniferwelchdesigns – Browse this site for images of high-end homes, filled with inspiration for every room. Posts seem to be trending toward warmer neutrals, including putty shades and more natural tones Azu says.
- @Eyeforpretty – This San Francisco Bay-area design studio posts a wide array of inspiring photos from clients with similar tastes to those MAC often works with. Find ideas for every area of the home, including kitchens, but also beautiful bathrooms and living areas.
- @Farmhousehomes – With many Victoria-area homeowners leaning toward a farmhouse style – or at least elements of it – inspiration is just a click away on this site! Find posts highlighting ideas for every part of the home, both inside and out.
- @Exteriors_of_insta – Similar to the curated Kitchens of Insta group, this page collects beautiful exteriors for endless inspiration. With exterior renovations increasingly popular in Greater Victoria – both as a way to boost curb appeal and to create an inviting setting for entertaining – you’ll find a wealth of ideas here!
Pro Tip: While these are some of Azu’s favourite pages to follow, many more await discovery. Use hashtags to find even more inspiration for specific styles you might like, or spaces you’re planning to renovate, such as #outdoordecor, #kitcheninspiration, #bathrooms_of_instagram and even #pantrymakeover.
“Victoria is so diverse, and has so many styles of homes, we’re able to incorporate a variety of design styles,” Azu notes. “And like Pinterest and Houzz, Instagram lets you save photos you like so you can collect all your ideas in one place to share with your designer.”