Taylor Road, shown in the photo on the top in the 1920s, and below in its current form leading toward the ocean off of William Head Road , is named after the Hon. Thomas Taylor, who was minister of public works and highways in the McBride government of 1912.
A wharf known as Taylor Wharf was built at the end of the road, but was not successful due to the lack of protection from the south-east gales sweeping through off Juan de Fuca Strait.
Presumably the idea was to ship Metchosin’s farm produce and lumber from there to Victoria. Remnants of the pilings were still visible in the 1950s and ’60s.
Taylor Beach, south of Witty’s Beach, has easy access and is a popular spot to walk. Being a “shingle” beach – covered with small pebbles as opposed to sand – it is a great place to skip stones. Devonian Park is at the far west end, making the beach and trail a pleasant walking circuit.
– Wendy Mitchell, Metchosin Museum Society