Christmas light-ups, skating at Bear Mountain, gift and craft fairs. On the West Shore, we can usually only dream of a white Christmas, but we make up for it with festive community events and displays that make the season bright.
After a night out of yuletide merriment, cozy up by the fireplace with these recommended reads, sure to bring you comfort and joy this holiday season.
Titles for Adults
• Hercule Poirot’s Christmas by Agatha Christie — It’s Christmas Eve and the head of the Lee family is found dead in his room. Detective Poirot is on the case and has no shortage of suspects in this classic mystery, set amidst the tinsel and trimmings of the holidays.
• Rumpole at Christmas by John Mortimer — These seven funny, festive stories show how the criminal fraternity rarely takes a day off — even during the holidays. Barrister Horace Rumpole’s adventures are especially comical with Christmas as the backdrop.
• Merry Christmas, Alex Cross by James Patterson — This book in the Alex Cross series is a fast-paced, non-stop, action-packed book. It’s Christmas Eve, and Cross and family are hanging ornaments when he gets a call: there’s a hostage situation involving a high profile lawyer.
• A Christmas Promise: A Cape Light Novel by Katherine Spencer and Thomas Kinkade — Artist Thomas Kinkade, known for his warm and cozy paintings of quaint cottages and evocative landscapes, co-authors this story of two people from different backgrounds who literally collide in a little town. Will this unexpected encounter be the beginning of a new friendship?
Titles for Children
• The Itsy Bitsy Snowman by Jeffrey Burton — This story is a cute take on the traditional Itsy Bitsy Spider rhyme in board book format. Next, you can try The Itsy Bitsy Reindeer. Recommended age 2 to 4.
• Merry Christmas, Squirrels! by Nancy Rose — Fabulous photographs of wild squirrels in hand-crafted holiday scenes accompany the story of Mr. Peanuts and Cousin Squirrel’s Christmas together. A treat for kids and adults. Age 3 and up.
• Santa Claus: The Magical World of Father Christmas by Rod Green — This beautifully illustrated picture book whisks children away to the North Pole and lets them in on the little secrets that make every Christmas magical. Ages 6 to 10
• Llama Llama Holiday Drama by Anne Dewdney — Decorating, baking, shopping, wrapping – there’s so much to do before Christmas Day is finally here. Llama Llama learns the importance of the holiday as he checks items off the holiday to do list. This fun Christmas story is told in rhyme. Age 3 to 5.
• Pete the Cat Saves Christmas by Eric Litwin — Oh no! Santa is sick. Will Pete the Cat be able to help? This modern, rockin’ re-telling of The Night Before Christmas shows how cool it is to do your best in the spirit of Christmas. Age 3 and up.
For more information on the Greater Victoria Public Library’s collections, visit gvpl.ca or stop in to one of the local branches on the West Shore: Juan de Fuca at 1759 Island Hwy. in Colwood, Goudy at 119-755 Goldstream Ave. in Langford or the new Langford Heritage Branch at 102-1314 Lakepoint Way behind the Westhills Y.