Langford Fire Rescue fire prevention officers Lance Caven

Langford house fire offers cautionary tale

Working smoke detector might have reduced fire damage

A Langford couple were lucky to escape injury recently after an overnight fire ripped through the kitchen of their house.

The incident has prompted Langford Fire Rescue officials to raise the alarm about the importance of having working smoke detectors in one’s home.

“These people were very lucky to escape,” said fire prevention officer, Insp. Lance Caven.

The fire was confined to the kitchen and a detector was located nearby. “At some point they had taken the battery out,” he said. “Luckily the woman woke up in the night, went down the hall and found the fire.”

By the time the man was up, the smoke was so thick he didn’t know where his partner was, said Caven’s fire prevention counterpart, Insp. Chris Aubrey.

“Twenty or 30 years ago materials were a lot different, there was a lot of wood,” he said. “Today there’s a lot more plastic. Fires burn a lot hotter and faster than before.”

As a precaution, the upstairs couple were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. While the fire was limited to one room, the home suffered smoke damage throughout the upstairs.

A downstairs tenant had no idea there was a fire until the trucks arrived, Caven added.

Some homes have smoke detectors hard wired, negating the need for batteries, and in some cases the upstairs and downstairs devices are linked, he said.

The close call has firefighters encouraging people to test their smoke alarms every six months to make sure they’re all in good working order.

Aubrey says people often make the assumption their detectors are working if they haven’t heard them go off in some time. As well, placing a device too near the kitchen can create false alarms, he added.

Langford Fire Rescue offers a free in-home smoke alarm check for residents that includes free replacement of any battery powered devices older than 10 years.

Advice is also given on options for hard-wired detectors, which are advisable since they don’t require batteries, Aubrey said.

For information on the program, or other information about smoke detectors, call 250-478-9555.

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

Just Posted

Nearly a dozen coonhound puppies and their mother to reunite at Saanich park

Dogs’ former foster family initiated one-year reunion plans

Trio brings roller skating fever to Greater Victoria

Roller Skate Victoria offers workshops, summer camps and more

Westin Bear Mountain hotel sold to local businessman and entrepreneur

Ecoasis will maintain responsibility of golf and tennis operations and developable lands

Public warned of night firing exercises in Saanich after evidence of trespassing

Routine shooting practice to take place at Heals Range from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday

Riders roll to help Island hospices

$240,000 raised so far for this weekend’s seventh annual Cycle of Life Tour

Rich the Vegan scoots across Canada for the animals

Rich Adams is riding his push scooter across Canada to bring awareness to the dog meat trade in Asia

POLL: Do you carry reusable shopping bags?

While a court ruling determined the City of Victoria’s plastic bag ban… Continue reading

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of July 16

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Body, burning truck found near northern B.C. town

RCMP unsure if the two separate discoveries are related

Couple found dead along northern B.C. highway in double homicide

Woman from the U.S. and man from Australia found dead near Liard Hot Springs

UPDATE: West Kelowna fawn euthanized, not claimed by sanctuary

Gilbert the deer has been euthanized after a suitable home was not found in time

BC Wildfire Service warns wet weather no reason to be complacent

Fire risk currently low for much of B.C. compared to same time over last two years.

Bank of Canada lowers qualifying rate used in mortgage stress tests

Home sales softened last year after the federal government introduced new stress test rules for uninsured mortgages

Port Hardy RCMP cleared in arrest that left man with broken ribs, punctured lung: IIO

The IIO noted the matter will not be referred to crown counsel for consideration of charges.

Most Read