From a nature-themed kids camp that quadrupled its enrolment in three years to the man who brought a community garden to Esquimalt, EcoStar awards honoured the region’s greenest.
The awards, handed out annually by the Capital Regional District, recognize individuals, businesses and not-for-profits that are making a difference to the local environment.
“The EcoStar Awards are a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the region’s top environmental stewards, educate residents on the importance of sustainability and encourage green practices,” said Geoff Young, CRD board chair, in a statement.
The awards were handed out at a ceremony on June 1.
The winners were:
• Waste reduction: Lighthouse Brewery
• Waste reduction non-profit: Downtown Victoria Business Association
• Integrated watershed management: Jawl Investment Corporation
• Water stewardship: Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre
• Climate action: Clean Air Landscaping
• Climate action non-profit: Recreation Oak Bay
• Land stewardship: Adrena Line Zipline Adventure Tours
• Land stewardship non-profit: Friends Uniting for Nature Society: Fun Camps Victoria
• Youth leader: Kati Walters
• Community environmental leader: Mark F. Salter