Don McCormick

HOMEFINDER: Residential insurance needs vary from home to home

Insurance brokers can help design an appropriate policy for whatever your specific needs

Home insurance is a consideration, even before you buy a home.

Don McCormick of Maxxam Insurance in Langford said a number of mitigating factors can affect the cost of residential insurance. House hunters may want to consider these before they they sign on the dotted line for their new home.

“From a neighbourhood point of view, do you have fire hydrants? Or wells with no fire hydrant?” McCormick asked. “You may live halfway between Jordan River and Port Renfrew and you might not have any fire protection. That increases the cost of insurance.”

Finding a nice house where there is less fire protection infrastructure may help keep house prices and potentially property taxes down, he said, but those costs should be weighed against fire insurance costs that could be twice as expensive.

McCormick, who has been a licensed insurance broker for more than four decades, said it’s not just homeowners who should be insured. Tenants living in apartments or rental accommodations should also taking a serious look at doing so but few do.

“Less than 25 per cent (of renters) have tenant’s insurance. There’s no requirement under the landlord tenants act,” he said. “So you cannot make it mandatory that you must have insurance, as opposed to a condominium owner – right in the bylaws, you are required.”

He warned that while a person may know what is happening in their own apartment, you don’t know what is happening next door or above or below you.

If the neighbour’s stove is left and were to catch fire, for example, it could leave you out of house and home, waiting on a bus or in the care of the Red Cross for a lengthy period of time.

Those with tenant insurance, on the other hand, will have much more comfortable accommodations. “You want to be the person in the hotel room watching the fire on TV, not the person on the bus,” he said.

Dividing into segments people who rent, who own condominiums and those that own houses, McCormick said residential insurance, or any insurance for that matter, can be complex.

Licensed insurance brokers are regulated by law and can help homeowners, especially those in their first home, with any questions before or after purchasing a property.

While purchasing insurance isn’t mandatory in British Columbia, McCormick reminds that people seeking mortgages at banks will require insurance for the residential property.

And most, if not all stratas make having residential insurance mandatory, as part of their bylaws.

“Policies are legal documents which are difficult to read, that’s why you need to consult with an insurance broker. Doing it yourself online is not a good idea,” he said. “I have been in the business 42 years and I still take continuing education courses every year. We’re regulated by law and it is mandatory.”

Q: Does home insurance cover everything?

Not necessarily. For example, if your home or its usage has changed, you need to let your insurance broker know. If you plan to renovate any part of your home, lease or rent a portion of your property, or even set up a home-based business, it’s your responsibility as a homeowner to report any changes to your property.

You don’t want to be in a situation where the new addition to your home is not covered, because you forgot to let your insurer know about it.

All of these things can affect your insurance and consulting your broker before these changes happen is important, especially considering that your home is usually the largest financial investment in your life.

Another important consideration is to separately insure any specific high-cost items like original works of art, collectables, or expensive jewellery. Most insurance coverage is limited in this regard.

If these items are important to you ask about optional coverage or look into riders on your main policy. Don’t assume home insurance covers absolutely everything in your house to the full extent of it’s appraised value.

It’s a good idea to read over your policy in its entirety and ask questions if you’re not sure about what is covered.



» 760 / 1,485 –NEW LISTINGS / TOTAL, MAY 2015


Just Posted

RCMP confirm foul play in death of 60-year-old Metchosin man

Police believe crime an isolated incident

Bumper crops of corn, garlic and berries on Peninsula farms

Silver Rill Corn has second earliest harvest ever, mild weather helping other producers

Researchers head out from Sidney to explore Canada’s largest underwater volcano

The Explorer Seamount is as large as Greater Vancouver and full of previously undiscovered species

Prolific offender found sleeping in Oak Bay resident’s car

Of 106 calls to 911 last week, eight were abandoned

RCMP identify Sidney bank robbery suspect, believe he is still on Vancouver Island

Warrant issued for arrest of North Vancouver man for TD Bank robbery

VIDEO: Dashcam video captures moment Victoria cyclist struck

Police seeking cyclist captured in video

UPDATE: Youth seen with gun at Nanaimo mall, suspect now in custody

Woodgrove Centre shut down during police incident

B.C. man dies from rabies after contact with Vancouver Island bat

Last known case of human rabies in B.C. was 16 years ago

Crown recommends up to two-year jail term for former Bountiful leader

Crown says sentence range should be 18 months to two years for Bountiful child removal case

VIDEO: Wolf spotted swimming ashore on northern Vancouver Island

Island wolf population estimated at under 150 in 2008, says VI-Wilds

Diversity a Canadian strength, Trudeau says of Trump tweets at congresswomen

Trudeau avoided using Trump’s name when he was asked about the president’s Twitter comments

Garneau ‘disappointed’ in airlines’ move against new passenger bill of rights

New rules codified compensation for lost luggage, overbooked flights

Canadian is detained in China on drug allegations: Chinese government

Detention of a Canadian in China comes as part a diplomatic dispute triggered by arrest of Huawei exec Meng Wanzhou

Rare white ravens spotted again in mid-Island

Nature photographer Mike Yip said mysterious birds back in Coombs area

Most Read