Wendy Mitchell

The old Metchosin school was constructed in 1913

METCHOSIN’S PAST: Time for a quick history lesson

Metchosin school grew with population boost in area

The old Metchosin school was constructed in 1913
A mural painted in sections by Colwood artist Rauymond Brunet

METCHOSIN’S PAST: Backdrop brings life to exhibits

Pioneer Barn Museum in Metchosin offers colourful historical displays

A mural painted in sections by Colwood artist Rauymond Brunet
The Metchosin store

METCHOSIN THEN AND NOW: Metchosin store an icon in distrct

Store constructed in 1930, remains a meeting place for residents

The Metchosin store
(Above) Photo from the early 1900s shows a wooden bridge crossing Sherwood Creek. The current William Head Road (right) has a culvert running underneath at the same spot.

Metchosin: Then and Now, May 29

The old Sherwood Creek Bridge spanned waterway until the 1940s, when a poorly executed plan saw better road, culvert built

(Above) Photo from the early 1900s shows a wooden bridge crossing Sherwood Creek. The current William Head Road (right) has a culvert running underneath at the same spot.
Foster’s Bridge

Metchosin Then and Now: Old Foster’s Bridge now a pedestrian crossing

Lay of the land has changed in the decades since first bridge was built

Foster’s Bridge
The Quarantine Station at William Head was once the mandatory first port of call for every ship arriving on the coast.

Metchosin Then and Now: Quarantine Wharf

William Head Quarantine Station a crucial piece of area’s history

The Quarantine Station at William Head was once the mandatory first port of call for every ship arriving on the coast.
This photo of what became known as Darby Farm dates back to 1910. The signature water tower in the centre is a landmark still seen by today’s visitors to Tower Point Park in Metchosin.

Metchosin Then and Now: Darby Farm

Iconic water tower remains from the early days of property

This photo of what became known as Darby Farm dates back to 1910. The signature water tower in the centre is a landmark still seen by today’s visitors to Tower Point Park in Metchosin.
The top photo of the Helgesen Farm dates back to 1920. The current photo (inset)

Metchosin: Then and Now — Helgesen Farm

Lombard Drive leads to site of the former Helgesen home, Sherwood

The top photo of the Helgesen Farm dates back to 1920. The current photo (inset)

Metchosin Then and Now: Taylor Road

A photographic look back in history compared with today's viewpoint

A couple and their dog stroll along a rough seaside trail in this early 20th century photo. Various trails were established to travel from Sooke to Victoria

METCHOSIN’S PAST: Barde Knockie Trail among early routes through Metchosin

Various routes were established from rugged west coast to Victoria

A couple and their dog stroll along a rough seaside trail in this early 20th century photo. Various trails were established to travel from Sooke to Victoria
Members of the Metchosin Women’s Institute take in a demonstration of milk pasteurization in 1922

METCHOSIN’S PAST: Madge Watt a Metchosin institution

Among her many accolades were the Agricultural Order of Merit from both France and Belgium

Members of the Metchosin Women’s Institute take in a demonstration of milk pasteurization in 1922
Did you know that Albert Head quarry supplied the stone for the Victoria breakwater?

METCHOSIN’S PAST: How well do you know your local history?

See how many of these tidbits of information you know

Did you know that Albert Head quarry supplied the stone for the Victoria breakwater?
Photo shows attendees at a fair at the old community hall in Metchosin

METCHOSIN’S PAST: Christmas equally special in 1926

Santa visits and Japanese oranges the treats of the day

Photo shows attendees at a fair at the old community hall in Metchosin

METCHOSIN’S PAST: Big cat stories abound in Metchosin

Many families have had cougar stories passed down through generations

A rickety bridge on Kangaroo Road is shown in this archival photo. The road got its name due to a comment made by a lands department staffer in reference to claim jumpers and other settlers.

METCHOSIN’S PAST: What’s in a name?

Place and street names have colourful history, Wendy Mitchell writes

A rickety bridge on Kangaroo Road is shown in this archival photo. The road got its name due to a comment made by a lands department staffer in reference to claim jumpers and other settlers.
Proprietors of the A.D. Hardie store were insistent that they adhered to appropriate business practices during the First World War

HISTORY: Old-time ad was convincing for Metchosin store

Merchants played on people's patriotism during First World War

Proprietors of the A.D. Hardie store were insistent that they adhered to appropriate business practices during the First World War
This portrait of Queen Victoria

HISTORY COLUMN: A brief history of the Metchosin Museum Society

Community heritage group marking history for more than 40 years

This portrait of Queen Victoria
Photo of Glen Rosa on Rocky Point Road

HISTORY COLUMN: Metchosin’s Glen Rosa farm home to colourful characters

Home once overlooked Pedder Bay inlet from top of hillside

Photo of Glen Rosa on Rocky Point Road
A painting by H. Carpenter shows how the former Beechwood Farm looked some 70 years ago

HISTORY COLUMN: Former Beechwood Farm land still gateway to Metchosin

New columnist Wendy Mitchell links readers to Metchosin's past

A painting by H. Carpenter shows how the former Beechwood Farm looked some 70 years ago