Grease fire forces Colwood family out of home

Three generations of a family and three tenants have been displaced after a early Wednesday morning grease fire in a Colwood home.

Three generations of a family and three tenants have been displaced after a early Wednesday morning grease fire in a Colwood home.

Fire investigators say a pot of oil used for deep frying burst into flames and lit part of the kitchen on fire.

“The fire was contained to the kitchen and did move into the roof, but that was quickly contained,” said Colwood assistant fire chief John Cassidy. “It has been concluded it was from unattended cooking.”

Cassidy said the stove wasn’t left unwatched very long before fire crawled from the pot to the wall and kitchen cabinets.

“Even a minute can make a difference,” he said. “It wasn’t the method of cooking, it came down to unattended cooking. It wasn’t smoldering away for hours. The person had just left the room.”

One of the homeowners was in the process of knockign down the blaze with an extinguisher when firefighters arrived.

Jana LeLievre lives in the home with her 20-month-old son and her parents. The family also rents out the basement suite. Everyone, including a cat, escaped the house unharmed, although the LeLievre family was checked out at the hospital.

“It burned up my kitchen,” LeLievre said Wednesday morning. “We are all OK but we are still coughing from the smoke.”

Colwood Fire Rescue and View Royal Fire Rescue attended the 1:45 a.m. call at Sue Mar Place.

The LeLievre family met with its insurance company Wednesday to see if they will be able to return to the home. Damage is estimated at $30,000 to $40,000.

The occupants of the home are being helped by emergency social services. They are currently staying in a hotel.

“It does look like there were no working smoke detectors,” Cassidy said. “It would have made a better scenario if there were, it would have notified people sooner and they would have gotten out of the house sooner.”

He also noted the homeowners wisely didn’t use water on the grease fire, which “would have caused an explosion an order of magnitude more significant.”

Video donated by Dale Kroppmanns

Just Posted

Hey Amazon, the bid’s in the mail: Langford mayor

The City of Langford has officially submitted its bid to become the home of Amazon HQ2.

Art has become a lifestyle for local resident

Coast Collective’s latest exhibit celebrates all things late fall

Deadline looming for youth transitional housing

Province says funding for 10 units not available at this time

Greater Victoria Public Library announces new music streaming service

Victoria Conservatory of Music to perform at Langford Heritage Branch on Saturday

Rogue masseur arrested for sexual assault in Victoria

John Heintzelman, 65, is accused of assaulting a person at his former business, James Bay Massage

WATCH: Greater Victoria restaurant chain stepping up after employee struck by SUV

31-year-old Khushal Rana fighting for his life in Victoria hospital

Man in custody linked police search near Salmon Arm

Police have not connected arrest to search at Salmon River Road property

Weekend hit list: Things to see and do in Greater Victoria

The Victoria Fall Home Expo returns, Rebels host the Cullen Cup, a gallery tour and more

B.C. search groups mobilize for missing mushroom picker

Searchers from across the province look for Frances Brown who has been missing since Oct. 14.

West Shore Baha’is come together to join in world-wide celebrations

200th commemoration of the birth of Baha’u’llah this weekend

JOCK TALK: Canada’s national cycling team is at Bear Mountain this weekend

Your weekly round up of all things sports on the West Shore

Search for missing B.C. man a race against winter weather

David Jeff of Williams Lake was last seen in Kamloops during the chaotic wildfire evacuations

Man steals police car, goes for a ‘slow’ ride

Mission RCMP say the motive of the theft is unknown

Salmon have arrived in Saanich

Two weeks ago, Dorothy Chambers, lead steward with Colquitz River fish fence,… Continue reading

Most Read