A fireball erupts after View Royal firefighter Heath Bevan dumps water onto a pan of burning canola oil during a grease fire safety demonstration Thursday afternoon.

Don’t do this at home

View Royal Fire Rescue fire safety officers demonstrate the dangers of using water on a stovetop grease fire.



View Royal fire Lieut. Heath Bevan created an explosive fireball worthy of a Hollywood movie, it was an effective display of why of oil, heat and water don’t mix.

A rash of household grease and oil fires over the past few years has spurred View Royal Fire Rescue to remind the public that flaming oil doused with water can have disastrous results.

“It’s a frustration for fire departments because this actually a simple type of fire to put out if you have the proper education,” said Lieut. Rob Marshall. “But if you panic during the situation and pour water onto (the fire) it creates quite an explosive situation.”

During a media demonstration on Thursday on an outdoor demonstration stove top, Bevan used half a bottle of canola oil in a pot, fired up the stove burner and waited 10 minutes.

At 250 C, the oil started smoking and at 400 C flames danced on the surface of the liquid. In full turnout gear, Bevan poured on a cup of tap water, and a roiling fireball of boiling oil burst from the makeshift stove.

“The water molecules expand 1,700 times itself. When you throw one cup of water into the grease, that turns into 1,700 cups of steam,” Marshall said. “So it literally explodes  on the inside and throws the flaming grease up into the air.”

View Royal FD has seen about 12 grease fires in the past few years, including most recently on Jan. 22 in the upper suite of a Helmcken Road home.

The resident placed a pot of fiery oil into the sink, turned on the tap and witnessed a fireball shoot up the wall. The suite was charred enough to be uninhabitable, but the resident and her daughter were lucky to escape unharmed.

“The fire last week pushed it for us to get the message out that grease fires are easy to deal with if you deal with them properly,” Marshall said. “If you deal with them in the wrong way, it can be bad.”

If faced with a oil or grease fire, turn off the stove element or source of heat first, and cover the pan with a metal lid if possible.

Marshall recommends letting the pot cool for at least 30 minutes. Don’t move the pot or place it in the sink.

“At that point leave it alone. Don’t touch it for about half an hour. That oil in there is still above 400 C so a real extreme burn hazard.”

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

 

 

Just Posted

Cigarette butts the main culprit in lagoon beach cleaup

Thousands of butts were picked up by the Greater Victoria Green team recently

West Shore fireworks courses start next week

Course required for mandatory permit

Chef struck by car on Gorge Road dies in hospital

Khushal Singh Rana leaves behind a wife, four-year-old son and unborn twins

Young conductor to premiere new composition at Celebrate Canada concert Monday in Victoria

“Spirit of the True North” the latest musical accomplishment for View Royal’s Jared Richardson

More than 900 new units planned for Langford Lake development

Council still has to sign-off on rezoning application

Sooke fudge company on Dragon’s Den Nov. 2

Fudge in A Round appearance on Dragon’s Den celebrated with a viewing party at the local Legion Nov. 2

String of collisions in James Bay, downtown Victoria, linked to suspected impaired driver

City man faces up to four MVA charges after vehicles hit, pedestrians almost hit

WATCH: 10,000 signatures gained to stop ‘no pets’ rental policy

Pets OK BC said about 1,700 animals were surrendered to the BC SPCA last year due to housing issues

Silver Creek reacts after remains found, man arrested

Neighbours of property where remains were found say man arrested was sweet and polite

VIDEO: Oprah Winfrey and a celebrities attend ‘B.C. Miracle Concert’

Fundraiser featured Foster, Steven Tyler, The Tenors, Matteo Bocelli, Laura Bretan, Carly Rae Jepsen

EDITORIAL: It’s time to change the sexual assault conversation

The words “Me Too” are taking social media by storm this week,… Continue reading

Council to hold public hearing on EDPA report Oct. 28

Saanich residents will finally get a chance to comment on a long-awaited… Continue reading

Book recycling program helps Peninsula families

It has been 12 years since Daphne Macnaughton was principal of Saanichton… Continue reading

Human remains found at Silver Creek property

RCMP have been searching the property in the 2200 block of Salmon River Road for the past three days

Most Read