Animals saved from house fire in Langford

Two tenants unharmed after fire starts in kitchen of home

Eight cats and one dog were rescued from a house fire in the 1000-block of Shaw Ave. near Florence Lake last night.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of the lower suite of the home. Langford firefighters believe at least two people were in the home at the time. One was trying to contain the fire with an extinguisher while the other called 911.

Eventually the people left the home, unharmed, and waited for fire crews. When help arrived the tenants told them about the animals in the upstairs suite.

“Cats are like us when they are scared, they hide,” said Langford firefighter Lt. Glenn Cooper.

Firefighters made four trips into the home to save the nine animals. A veterinarian was called in and determined all the animals to be healthy.

The homeowner is in California and hadn’t been reached as of this afternoon. Firefighters were back in the house today checking for any additional animals, but it is believed all were accounted for.

Langford Fire Rescue encourages pet owners to place a sticker on their door noting that animals live in the home, in case of fire.

charla@goldstreamgazette.com