News

Langford man pulls roommate from smoke-filled home

A Langford man saved the life of his roommate, a kitten and a dog on Dec. 16 when he entered the burning house three times.

Emergency crews arrived on scene at 1:05 a.m, to the home on Goldie Avenue in Langford.

Langford firefighters found one man unconscious on the balcony, he was airlifted to Vancouver in serious but stable condition. He has since been released.

The other man was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation from entering the home three times.

He brought his roommate from a soot covered floor to the balcony. Firefighters say the bedroom was full of smoke.

Firefighters say the blaze started  with unattended cooking on the stove. The flames were contained to the kitchen around the stove and  cupboards above.

A smoke alarm near the kitchen had been disconnected and firefighters found the smoke alarm  by the front door.

“Had it been working it would have alerted the occupant in time,” said Lt. Chris Aubrey with Langford Fire Rescue.  “Smoke alarms are the best way to alert you of a fire in your home.”

Langford Fire Rescue, B.C. Ambulance and West Shore RCMP attended the call.

“We have a free smoke alarm program open to anyone in Langford,” Aubrey said.

 

To receive a free smoke alarm and have it installed by firefighters call Langford Fire Rescue at  250-478-9555.

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Family of hit-and-run victim makes emotional public appeal w/video
 
Pride comes to Alberni
 
Family frustrated with lack of progress in murder investigation
Fly like an eagle!
 
Community comes through for Kiwanis Hilton Centre
 
Craig is new SD70 chair
New metal slide installed in Horne Lake caves
 
Sick kids get a visit from Santa at Nanaimo hospital
 
Grant aims to promote physical literacy for kids

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.