- Place Classified Ad
- Browse Classifieds
- BC Jobs
- Victoria News
- Oak Bay News
- Peninsula News Review
- Saanich News
- Real Estate Victoria
- Vancouver Island Free Daily
Langford man pulls roommate from smoke-filled home
A Langford man saved the life of his roommate, a kitten and a dog on Dec. 16 when he entered the burning house three times.
Emergency crews arrived on scene at 1:05 a.m, to the home on Goldie Avenue in Langford.
Langford firefighters found one man unconscious on the balcony, he was airlifted to Vancouver in serious but stable condition. He has since been released.
The other man was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation from entering the home three times.
He brought his roommate from a soot covered floor to the balcony. Firefighters say the bedroom was full of smoke.
Firefighters say the blaze started with unattended cooking on the stove. The flames were contained to the kitchen around the stove and cupboards above.
A smoke alarm near the kitchen had been disconnected and firefighters found the smoke alarm by the front door.
“Had it been working it would have alerted the occupant in time,” said Lt. Chris Aubrey with Langford Fire Rescue. “Smoke alarms are the best way to alert you of a fire in your home.”
Langford Fire Rescue, B.C. Ambulance and West Shore RCMP attended the call.
“We have a free smoke alarm program open to anyone in Langford,” Aubrey said.
To receive a free smoke alarm and have it installed by firefighters call Langford Fire Rescue at 250-478-9555.