News

Fire breaks out at Langford sushi restaurant

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus exit Zin Sushi and Noodle at Langford Centre after a fire broke out between 8:15 and 8:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 20.  - Jim Zeeben/News staff
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus exit Zin Sushi and Noodle at Langford Centre after a fire broke out between 8:15 and 8:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 20.
— image credit: Jim Zeeben/News staff

When Bonnie McCann arrived at Langford Centre to open up her flower shop Wednesday morning (June 20), she was greeted by a fire next door.

"The smoke was streaming out the back of the building and out the chimneys," said McCann, who parked behind the building. "I didn't open the door because it was hot."

At 8:22 a.m., Langford Fire Recuse was called to Zin Sushi and Noodle, located in the mall on Goldstream Avenue. Fire crews from all three of the municipality’s fire stations arrived on scene with 16 firefighters.

"We knocked the fire out very quickly. The fire was contained to the unit of origin," said Langford fire Chief Bob Beckett, adding neighbouring shops filled with smoke.

The owners of the sushi restaurant, Joshua and Helen Park, arrived around 8:45 a.m. They appeared distraught and declined to comment.

Nearby shops including Western Foods were evacuated.

"We had more staff than customers in the store (at the time)," said Josie Turner, Western Foods office manager. Around 8:30 a.m. Western Foods began to fill up with smoke, "I don't think there is any damage but it smells really bad."

The fire is currently under investigation.

charla@goldstreamgazette.com

Langford Centre shop fire history

In April 4, 2011, a fire gutted Salty's Fish and Chips. The store didn't have sprinklers and the fire was caused by "an electrical device placed near combustibles," remembers Langford fire Chief Bob Beckett.

Bonnie McCann, owner of Every Blooming Thing Florist, located next to Zin Sushi and Noodle, has been displaced three times due to fires in the mall. Western Foods, which is on the other side of McCann’ shop, has had two fires in the past 15 years.

"I am right in the middle (of both stores) I get it every time," McCann said, wiping tears from her face. "My store is full of smoke. It gets on all the products and I have to throw (them) away. You can't sell stuff that smells of smoke."

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Big changes expected at Greater Victoria board of education
 
Looking Back November 19
 
ELECTION 2014: Alberni votes for change
Downtown Parksville merchants having some fun this holiday season
 
Red Nose offers Nanaimo drivers safe ride home
 
Speed bump
Rolls, Safe Youth Cowichan honoured
 
Quinn-tessential Bachand
 
The Week — Nov. 10

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 21 edition online now. Browse the archives.