- 2015 Federal Election
- BC Jobs
- Victoria News
- Oak Bay News
- Peninsula News Review
- Saanich News
- Real Estate Victoria
Man convicted for child porn, but sentence remains delayed
A Langford man convicted of possessing and distributing child pornography more than a year ago has successfully delayed his sentencing until at least August.
Nicholas Hans Bichsel was charged in August 2006 with possession of child pornography and making child pornography available. He was found guilty on Nov. 1, 2010, on both counts at Western Communities Courthouse, but has yet to face sentencing.
The possession of child pornography charge dates from Oct. 27 and 28, 2005, and the distribution charge spans Feb. 14, 2004 to Oct. 28, 2005, according to court documents. The offenses are alleged to have happened in Langford.
Crown and defense lawyers held a closed sentencing conference at Western Communities Courthouse last week, on Feb. 16, but that was once again held over. Bichsel’s next court appearance is set for Aug. 30.
“The sentencing has been adjourned a number of times. The delays are a result of the availability of the accused and his council,” said Crown spokesperson Neil MacKenzie.
MacKenzie agreed it was unusual for sentencing to drag out for nearly two years, but he doesn’t have all the details behind the delays. He did say the Crown prosecutor has objected to further delays, but the court has accepted reasons of the accused to hold over the decision.
“It is probably fair to say it is unusual for a matter to go over for that long. Generally we don’t see this much of a gap between conviction and sentencing,” MacKenzie said.