News

Grease fire damages View Royal home

A grease fire exploded into a house fire in View Royal Sunday night.

A mom and her daughter escaped with minor injuries from the second floor suite in a home in the 200 block of Helmcken Road at 6:30 p.m.

View Royal fire Chief Paul Hurst said the woman tried to use water to extinguish a pot with oil that had caught fire.

“This is a reminder that oil and fire and water don’t mix,” Hurst said, referring to the fact that grease fires explode violently if doused in water.

“It happens so fast. The (family) is lucky.”

The kitchen was badly damaged leaving the suite uninhabitable, Hurst said, and the lower suite had water damage.

The woman and her daughter escaped into the cold street with only night clothes and no shoes.

Emergency social services is helping the family find a new place to live.

Colwood and View Royal fire departments attended the blaze with 21 firefighters, and five vehicles.

Hurst said the cause of the fire is ruled accidental.

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
 
Charges laid in fatal hit-and-run
 
Coroner confirms body that of missing senior
Police dig for your help in excavator theft
 
Having fun at Hilton Centre
 
Community comes through for Kiwanis Hilton Centre
Grant aims to promote physical literacy for kids
 
Aerobatic jet team added to 2015 Abbotsford International Airshow lineup
 
Crow rescued after being caught in power line in Abbotsford

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.