News

Fire damages apartment building in View Royal

A common garbage room at Christy Point Apartments caught fire early Monday morning.

The fire went unnoticed until smoke reached a neighbouring suite and set off the resident’s smoke alarm. The fire department was called just before 5 a.m. to the Craigowan Road building.

“The fire had been burning for quite awhile,” View Royal fire Chief Paul Hurst said. “Fortunately a fire wall kept it contained to the one room.”

A total of 31 fire fighters from View Royal and Colwood responded and were able to knock the fire down within a few minutes.

Four suites on the second floor above the garbage room were evacuated as a precautionary measure. Those suites had only minor smoke damage.

The garbage room, however, was completely gutted. The damage is estimated at $10,000.

“We believe it was set accidentally. Somebody likely discarded something that sparked the fire,” Hurst said.

He reminds the public to ensure cigarette buts, ashes, and other combustibles are fully extinguished before are thrown away.

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
 
Site C dam construction to start next summer
 
Police tackle, apprehend man in Campbell River
Local chef competes on Chopped Canada
 
Deep Bay Marine Station — whale bones sold out
 
RCMP call for caution in wake of cycling accidents
Rent controls here to stay, province says
 
VIDEO: PM Harper on Sydney, Pakistan attacks
 
No firm answers for Jordan River residents

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.