Royal Roads building catches fire

Portable space heater believed to be the cause of a fire which, had it not been attacked quickly, could have been disastrous.

A small fire at Royal Roads University on Wednesday evening could have been a lot worse had it not been for the quick response of the Colwood Fire Department.

The fire started in the Cedar Building, otherwise known as building Number 6, a turn-of-the-century building currently under renovation in the southern corner of the campus.

“We’re still looking into it this morning first thing, but it appears it may have been a space heater,” Chief Kerry Smith said.

When crews arrived there were flames and firefighters went to work, knocking down the fire quickly.

“Huge potential,” Smith said. “This building, because it’s under renovations, it’s quite a large building and had it gotten going it would have been extremely difficult to extinguish.”

Smith estimates damages to be $25,000 to $30,000 or less.